So I discovered the Gymnastic Bodies website/book last November. In January I started incorporating some of the stuff into the workouts that my atletes do. (Competitive synchronized swimmers, 13-23 years old, training 18-36 hours a week) Two months later they are really benefiting.
Specifically I think that including hollow holds and L-sits, head stand work and hand stand work into practice two or three times a week has really helped them strengthen their core and thus control their position in the water better. I have hopes that one day they will be able to do all the FSPs... but not yet
However there´s one thing that we need to strengthen, and I have no idea if there are any gymnastics-type positions or exercises that would help. It seems to be a weakness of everybody I train, (except one) so I am pretty sure it is my failure to include some exercise, not a coincidence.
The weak spot is as follows. To maintain their legs out of the water the athletes bend their elbows to about 90º with their palms facing upwards. The upper arm externally rotates in it's socket while the elbow stays still, causing the hands to swing in and out in 90º arcs in front of the body. Like there is a pizza in each hand and they can't drop it or smoosh it on their shirt. When the hands move outwards the palms should face 15º outwards (pinky up, hyper-supination) and when the hands move in the fingertips should curl slightly up at the end. In one breath the athetes should be able to execute 15-40 repetitions of the movement (depending on their age and skill) supporting the weight of both legs (plus fighting the resistance of the water)
So I beleive that we need to stregthen a position of simultaneous 90º flexion of the elbow, hyperiation of the fore-arm and external rotation of the shoulder.
In this video you can see the skill http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RRi_uZjRx8&feature=related from 2:50 to 4:20 with the best example arount 4:00. Note: these aren't my athletes, this is just the clearest video exmple of the skill I could find.
Does anybody have any ideas?
Thanks