Closing a door on the ring straps

Started by Jeremy Kieley, March 3, 2012 · 6 Replies · 3,256 Views

Jeremy Kieley

I want to put the straps over the top of the door and close it. This would put the back of the buckle (not the feed in side) against the back of the wall/door.

I'm not planning on using the rings for full bodyweight movements since I'm afraid my door might give out on me lol, but will be doing rows/pushups/pulldowns/etc with my body at 45degrees or lower.

I was wondering if this is a bad thing for the straps and/or buckles? I wouldn't want closing the door on them to start cutting into them, or have the pressure of the buckle against the wall break that either. It's a plain wooden door. Nothing fancy. Has enough space for the ring straps about halfway and on the doorknob side (the side by the hinges is too tight for the straps) but it still closes tightly.

John Sapinoso

bar for the door, fine for the rings.

Jeremy Kieley

no door in my apartment will fit one. every door has 1 wall too close

John Sapinoso

typo, meant to say "bad" for door

Jeremy Kieley
ts00nami said:
typo, meant to say "bad" for door

haha that definitely changes what I thought you said.

Hmm, yeah, I can see it being bad for the door. Would a sturdier door, like say the front door be better? Or would you still recommend against it?

Cole Dano

Doors aren't all the same around the world, so what i'm saying may not apply in your case, use your discretion.

The biggest problem i see is the buckle being used at the door. It could cause some minor damage.

If you tie a tube sock around the strap and use it you'll have something soft at the door that won't possibly slip through or fall off.

Also, it's very smart to do this with a door that opens away from you.

Jeremy Kieley
Cole Dano said:
Doors aren't all the same around the world, so what i'm saying may not apply in your case, use your discretion.

The biggest problem i see is the buckle being used at the door. It could cause some minor damage.

If you tie a tube sock around the strap and use it you'll have something soft at the door that won't possibly slip through or fall off.

Also, it's very smart to do this with a door that opens away from you.

Any door i do this against closes the way i'm putting the force so no worries there. I doubt the buckle will cause much damage to the door, but a sock around it wouldn't hurt. It looks like the thicker part of the strap that connections to the buckle, wont fit over the door when it's closed so the buckle shouldn't have any pressure against it anyway.

I'm just worried that the hinges are in danger since that's the only thing I can see going wrong.