Abdominal strength in Front Lever vs. Body Lever

Started by Brian Li, March 2, 2012 · 7 Replies · 4,693 Views

Brian Li

So I know front lever is more lat/pulling strength than ab strength and is harder than body lever and body lever is more ab strength than pulling strength, but does a front lever use the same amount of ab strength as the body lever?

Blairbob

Yes, pretty much. If you can't do a body lever, you probably have no chance of being able to do a front lever.

Brian Li

Hmm interesting. I never really feel my abs that much in a full front lever when compared to a full body lever, although it could be that I was focusing on pulling down a lot in the FL, but if the abs are certainly working as much in the front lever then I won't do much abs specific exercises like body levers. I probably won't do much ab work if I will be working front levers a lot. So similarly a back lever would use as much lower back strength as a reverse body lever?

Gym777

How much of assistance from hands is required\acceptable when doing body lever?

Blairbob

Ehh, it's really hard to determine accurately. Straight arm is harder than bent arms.

Don't worry about it too much.

Brian Li

Hi, I was going to ask this in the stickied body lever thread, but ... What is the difference of having straighter arms in a body lever compared to a more bent arm body lever? Does it just take more pulling strength and the stress on the abs are still the same with straighter arms? I find doing a body lever with locked arms hurts my shoulder area and I'm not sure if it is good to work up to one with locked arms and if there are any benefits.

Blairbob

Sometimes, I get the same irritation in my shoulder with straight arms. It's more difficult with straight arms since you can't pull as much to assist.

Brian Li

Yea I thought that was the case as well with straighter arms. So I assume straight arms for body levers just affect the lats (pulling) and not the abs since front levers work the abs just as hard and its straight arms too? Would the shoulder pain/discomfort from straight arms go away if you keep doing it? Does anyone know if doing straight arm body levers give any benefits over bent arm ones besides increased pulling strength? Also, what effects would grip width and height of arms have on body levers? Thanks in advance!