to answer your question Vincaroo from WOD

Started by Ian Legrow, February 28, 2012 · 3 Replies · 1,957 Views

Ian Legrow

"On a quick side note...

Since I've moved with my brother and sister in law, my niece who is a year and a half always likes to watch me exercise. She's very strong for her age.

Today she came and grabbed my rings and held herself in a dead hang for a solid 20 seconds and squirmed for the last five seconds.totalling 25 seconds.

What age do children get involved into gymnastics?"

From what i have read coach has began teaching a couple of his athletes at 2 years old. I believe it was allan bower and his brother if i am not mistaken

Blairbob

Well Mommy&Me (or grandparent/dad) are up to 3yo in most gyms. The earliest they probably start is when they can walk decent so 12-18 months at earliest.

A lot of kids who have parents who are coaches or owners, literally grow up and live in the gym from the time they can crawl and walk. They'll bounce on trampoline A LOT or play in the kinder apparatus area when they are in a class or just hanging out.

Vincent Stoyas

Ah, I just saw this! Thanks for addressing the question.

Yes, my niece does that exact same thing. She even tries to kick her legs up and if I catach her legs she tries to press herself into a handstand.

Is it worth the time to take them to a class now, I believes she is 21 months too, or wait another half a year or year?

Aaron Griffin
Bdk1786 said:
My son is currently in gymnastics at 21 months and loves it. He watches me in the garage and thinks it's the coolest thing. Here he is the other night trying his own HS

Your dog looks like he needs to go outside... :shock: