My Favourite Ring Push Ups :)

Started by Michael Traynor, February 27, 2012 · 9 Replies · 6,233 Views

Michael Traynor

Hey all,

After training tonight I made a wee compilation of my favourite ring push up variations.

They are all beginner to intermediate but good fun to play with. Just watch your elbows on the straight arm variations!

bSwfDqz4uck

seiyafan

Holy, is chest fly on rings dangerous if you have hyperextended elbows?

Michael Traynor

If you have hyperextension then work your arms not locked fully out but keep them straight to the eye which will be, for you, slightly bent. If you know what I mean?

seiyafan

I know, will doing it without locking elbow be more difficult?

Brian Li

Shouldn't elbows locked be harder even with some hyperextension?

Typhoon
seiyafan said:
I know, will doing it without locking elbow be more difficult?

There is a post by coach on hyperextended elbows and ring strength. He does mention that with hyperextended elbows things are harder but he does not mention anything on keeping the arm straight (slightly bent for hyperextension people). I believe that eventually it becomes much harder to do so for higher level ring strength as a lot of people with hyperextended elbows when doing maltese and iron cross let them hyperextend (I beleive Chen Yibing has hyperextended elbows although that could just be an illusion due to how much muscle the guy has). Then again you wouldn't know if a persons doesn't let them hyperextended if he is trying to go for straight so who knows.

Mine hypextend fairly significantly and at first I've worked to keep them straight. With more difficult moves this became harder and harder and despite my best efforts on moves like the Iron Cross they go into hyperextension. This hasn't caused an injury, at least so far.

d4bc83f6bc537e27f6f9bafb6cfa_medium.jpg

Looks pretty hyperextended to me.

seiyafan

This one looks even more hyperextended to me:

Artistic+Gymnastics+World+Championships+2009+sNYT7K12m_al.jpg

Geez, are his elbow made of Titanium?

Fox
seiyafan said:

Geez, are his elbow made of Titanium?

It seems so...

Quick Start Test Smith

This is awesome. Reminds me that I need to set up my rings!! 8)

Also, I hope you don't mind, but I noticed your head was very loose during the push ups. You should probably try to keep it stiff if you know what I mean.

Michael Traynor
Patrick Smith said:
This is awesome. Reminds me that I need to set up my rings!! 8)

Also, I hope you don't mind, but I noticed your head was very loose during the push ups. You should probably try to keep it stiff if you know what I mean.

Thanks, I'm not too bothered about this ;) I like to check my form during these variations especially the straight arm variations, i'm not in danger of hurting my neck. Thanks though!