front handspring

Started by Vayzenshtat, February 26, 2012 · 9 Replies · 2,299 Views

Vayzenshtat

3zdHZaN_9cg

Any advice? After this video I realized that I have to keep my head up when I land.

John Sapinoso

Record it again from further back. It's hard to give any effective critique from that video.

From what I could see though you need to reach your hands further (you pike at the hips) and you need more heel drive from that back leg.

Vayzenshtat

Thanks. Yea I should've recorded that again. If I'd like to do a front handspring front tuck should I be landing with my feet slightly in front of me?

Blairbob

well, somewhere between "in front" and "slightly in front and under"

depending on how quick/slow you are

John Sapinoso
Blairbob said:
well, somewhere between "in front" and "slightly in front and under"

depending on how quick/slow you are

This^^^

At your level, I'd focus on the heel drive and HS entry angle more than anything. Just aim for feet underneath with a tight arch landing to build some repetitions. Later on you can adjust speed and landing angle for height, connection, skill etc.

Personally, I never aimed for feet in front unless I was working a twisting dismount and needed to trade some distance and rotation for height. I usually connected multiple skills out of it so feet were right underneath.

Blairbob

Ok, I edited the youtube tags so I watched it and I'm not downloading anything.

1. You're not a sprung surface. Looks like a thick stiff landing mat.

2. I'd like a neutral head position with the eyes looking at the hands more from entry to exist.

3. Try to turn over heels more so heels land closer to hands. Think front limber.

4. I'd say try to block more through shoulders but that surface is only going to give so much. It's basically like a thick wrestling mat.

Vayzenshtat

Thanks a lot everyone. I'll be working on these a lot. I'm also going to have to improve my back flexibility if I want to do them well

Blairbob

Honestly, it's pretty good as is. Try it on a sprung surface, spring floor or rod floor.

Sailor Venus

I'm in a middle of learning a front handspring. Is it throwing your rear leg over and the momentum from it should tilt me right up again? Or do I need to do it in conjunction pushing my arms off the floor?

Blairbob

Basically yes. The kicking action of the first leg preceeded by the second leg generates horizontal momentum and the push in the shoulders helps right the torso.