Shoulder Stand

Started by Michael Traynor, February 22, 2012 · 5 Replies · 3,970 Views

Michael Traynor

Not sure why but It has taken me a slightly embarrassingly long time to achieve a free standing shoulder stand on the rings.

Glad to say I'm finally there, support position is getting wide now too, I can hold it wider than this but I'm not sure if I should go wider when I don't have a free standing ring HS yet. Any wider and it may constitute IC work.

UZf67Nw4z5g

Blairbob

Learning shoulderstand on High Rings takes longer than learning it on PB then low rings, then high.

There is that possibility of falling forward and that's never fun on the shoulders on high.

You can play going wider in the support.

Another cross drill I used to like to do was straight arm ring flies from a straight arm plank/pushup position. It's not really like a maltese though.

Michael Traynor
Blairbob said:

You can play going wider in the support.

Another cross drill I used to like to do was straight arm ring flies from a straight arm plank/pushup position. It's not really like a maltese though.

I work these quite a lot, really like them, I use IC trainers to scale them, they have really helped my straight arm strength :)

Blairbob

Oh, I forgot to say when you do your press to shoulderstand, raise your hips as high as you can before bending the arms, rather than going from support to bent arms and raising the hips.

Basically it's a regular pike/straddle press and you just start bending the arms to make it easier to get the hips up to vertical.

jl5555

Is it standard to develop this skill using pike first? I do the ring shoulder stand a bit (low rings only unfortunately) but go into it with my knees bent and curl up that way and back down in a strict negative. I'm on the edge of developing a press to HS from the shoulder stand but until I can get a good high ring setup I'm sorta stuck.

Blairbob

It's competed as a pike but for training purposes, position is just a progression.