This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120221

Started by Coach Sommer, February 21, 2012 · 9 Replies · 1,764 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Wrist Pushups

2x10 Cast Wall Walks

2x5 Pike Box Press HS

2x10 Straddle Box Press HS

12 cycles of XR Strap HS

Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes after completing all of the Press HS work and then begin the XR Strap HS.

8 ) Each XR Strap HS cycle consists of 30 work followed by 45 seconds of rest. Go directly from one cycle to the next with no additional rest.

9) DO NOT come down during the 30 seconds of HS. If you do come down, that cycle does not count towards your total of 12 cycles.

10) To perform XR Strap HS drop your Xtreme Rings down to 6â€-8†from the ground. Now kick up into a handstand widely straddling your legs so that they wrap around the straps. Straighten and lock your arms as much as possible and begin timing your HS.

11) The XR Strap HS can be made much more physically demanding by placing your feet along the inside of the straps rather than wrapping your legs around the straps. The intensity can be further increased by ensuring that your elbows are completely locked and straight.

12) If XR Strap HSs are currently too demanding, perform Wall HS instead; although every effort should be made to complete the workout with XR Strap HS.

Josh Schmitter

General WU

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req WU

WOD:90s for sets/2min between FBE.

1x10 Wrist Pushups(knees)

4x5 Plank Walks(7 steps forward/back = 1)

2x5 Pike Press HeS

2x10 Straddle Press HeS

5 min rest.

HS Cycles(Stomach to Wall/floor HS): Wrist about 5" away from wall

-1x11 cycles 30s on/1min rest

3min Rest

-1 more cycle

-1x10 wrist pushups on knees

Notes:

-Something went horribly wrong with Plank Walks today :). I believe it was because this is the first day I've done them as CWW would be, i.e. 7 steps forward, 7 back. Before I was doing 21 steps forward, then 21 back...and for some reason that was much easier. I had to break them up into sets of 5 with feet on the floor, and even that was very rough.

-HeS Presses felt pretty damn good, much easier than usual.

-Finally finished all 12 cycles in 1 go. Granted it wasn't the rx'd 45s rests, and I am thinking I might be not fully shrugged at times, but a step has been climbed nontheless.

Vincent Stoyas

Dynamic warm up

Pre FSPs

wrist/elbow prehab

2x5 cast wall walks

2x5 pike press HeS

1x10 straddle press HeS

1x7 straddle press HeS

4 rounds of handstands

**notes**

Cast wall walks were very brutal. Scaled to half.

Neck was getting sore with the last few reps, so I stopped.

I had my niece and nephew with me so I was sufficiently distracted with those two. My niece is a year and a half and she kept trying to do everything I did. She was trying planks and handstands with me, it was cute hahah. My nephew who is 6 wouldn't even try anything though. What a shame :/

Samuel Carr

This is more of a volume wod, correct?

Sven Ravnstag
element3904 said:
This is more of a volume wod, correct?

I'd certainly say so! It wore me out in a major way.

Another question: For those of you who have paid attention to the trends in WODs, are there particular days that handstand, pull, and legs workouts typically fall on? I haven't quite figured out the cycle yet (assuming there is one) and am trying to figure out how to structure my other calisthenics to not conflict with the WODs more than necessary.

Thank you!

nf46
For those of you who have paid attention to the trends in WODs, are there particular days that handstand, pull, and legs workouts typically fall on?

My understanding of the cycle is as follows:

  • day 1: embedded static- the exercises on these days rotate between workouts so that all of the planes are covered over time i.e. sometimes we will have dips and curls, sometimes pullups and HSPU etc.
    day 2: dynamic1- this can be either push, pull, or legs
    day 3: Leg strength
    day 4: handstand days- These are usually the same with regards to the presses, however rotate HS wall runs, HSPU ladders, XR cycles between workouts
    day 5: Dynamic2- another dynamic workout, different to dynamic 1
    day 6: Ring strength

After this the cycle repeats, using different dynamic days, and varying the specific exercises used.

Hope this helps :)

Sven Ravnstag

It certainly does; thank you!

ChocoGymnast

1x10 Wrist Stretch

4x5 Cast Wall Walks

2x5 Pike Press HeS

2x10 Straddle Press HeS

12 cycles of Wall HS Hold

8 straight cycles, ~2 min. rest, 4 more cycles

1x10 Wrist Pushups

David Hurwitz

1x5 pike press HeS

1x5 pike press HS negatives on the wall

same for straddle

Pressing to HeS is relatively easy for me. My toes barely tap the floor in between reps. The negatives seemed like a good middle ground. However on the negatives, my hip flexibility is so poor that I more or less smack my feet to the ground once I have lowered past horizontal. I am hoping that continued work on pancake and middle split stretches will help this with time. I am frustrated though. I think I need someone to tell me to suck it up and keep stretching. Thanks.

Ivan Uzarevic1

FSP prereq WU

Shoulder mobilization routine

WOD: Performed

1x10 Wrist Pushups (on my knees)

2x10 Cast Wall Walks (Plank walks)

2x5 Pike Box Press HS (Pike Press to HeS)

2x10 Straddle Box Press HS (Straddle Press to HS)

12 cycles of XR Strap HS (6 rounds of 30 sec Box HS + 6 rounds of 30 sec holding the 20kg barbell over my head)

Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups (on my knees)

notes: I´m a bit frustrated with my inability to hold HS even in Box variation!! Also my progress on HS holds is very slow if any at all. I just don´t know why :( My partner, who started to train with me only 5 months ago, held 12 rounds of Wall HS for 30 sec without problem..I couldn´t do that even in Box variation..But, when we practice Press or HeSPU variations I´m stronger then him (I can lift more weights then him and I´m more firm and strong in HeSPU)..Can someone please answer me why´s that?! Why am I so terrible on HS holds and not so bad at pressing or HeSPU variations?? Tnx in advance..