Strength/Endurance Program for Gymnasts in a Class Setting

Started by kez, September 28, 2008 · 2 Replies · 2,673 Views

kez

Hi,

I apologise if I've put this thread in the wrong place but I read a sticky regarding developing appropriate programs from this forum and have been considering the best approach to structuring a conditioning program in a gymnastics class setting.

Does the following sound reasonable? Firstly gymnasts must develop a certain amount of base strength so the first phase of the program would focus on increasing strength and power. After this the next phase would be to increase the gymnasts endurance. And finally (in the competion season) a maintenance phase.

Obviously skill development needs to continue throughout all three phases so care would need to be taken in regards to volume etc.

So first phase: Low reps, high intensity and plyometric/power training

Second phase: Higher reps, lower intensity - possibly a circuit type program.

Third phase: reduction in volume of strength/endurance training for maintenance

A lot of the examples of conditiong programs I've seen in a gymnastic class setting seem to be associated with high reps (above at least 8 and the more common number to be 12 or 15 for each exercise) and quite often a circuit type program, which, from what I've read is better for endurance rather than increasing strength. Would this be due to time constraints?

Basically what I want to know is what is the most effective way of structuring a conditioning program in a gymnastic class setting?

Thanks in advance.

StevenL

the WODs at drilllsandskills.com are good for conditioning and I think soon this site will post WODs for conditioning as well.

Blairbob

Basically, off-season, pre-season, competitive season.