Why no video of gymnasts lifting big weight?

Started by RatioFitness, February 10, 2012 · 7 Replies · 4,688 Views

RatioFitness

In the today's world of youtube, digital cameras, and camera phones, why is there no video of gymnasts lifting large amounts of weight like in the stories we hear? If there are some, post the videos here! :)

John Sapinoso

I'm personally not one of those gymnasts who can lift "hyoooge" weights. But I'll definitely post some videos next chance I get. Bench is around 300, DL the same, but BSQ is pretty abysmal.

irongymnast

BSQ is regular squat?

To the OP: I don't think that most gymnasts mess with heavy weights or have access to them. They spend their time in the gymnastics gym.

I for one hadn't done any squat, DL, bench press in my life until I took some oly lifting classes.

Aaron Griffin
ts00nami said:
Bench is around 300, DL the same

This seems like a form issue more than anything else. If you're that strong, and do a lot of posterior chain based gymnastics (back lever and friends), the DL should come easy. The cue that works best for me is to lean back a bit so the weight is on the heels and focus on leg pressing the planet away from the bar

Blairbob

BSQ would be Back Squat.

Gregor has done BP in his workout log as an assistance exercise.

I frequently hear that collegiate female gymnasts weight train a lot more than male gymnasts ( since I rarely hear that they use weights ).

Most gymnastics gyms are not equipped with heavy weights. Maybe some DB and KB and a light barbell set if you're lucky.

There should be weight training at the National Training Center though.

One of the gals at CalStrength used to be a gymnast. There are plenty of CrossFit gals who used to be gymnasts and who are now lifting. Nadia Shatila, Gillian Mounsey, Annie Thorisdottir (last years CF champ), etc.

Blairbob

Teaching gymnasts tends to be simple, but for many it's not something frequently trained.

Also, there can be legal issues with video taping and posting underage gymnasts.

Kallista Pappas probably has some video of her weight training and lifting when she was still a L9 gymnast. She competed in the 2008 games impressively when she was still a gymnast in HS.

WitnessTheFitness

Like others I imagine it's just because gymnasts aren't spending much time with weights; whenever I hear of gymnasts testing something like bench press or deadlift it seems like they do it more out of curiosity to see what their max lifts are. Since lifting isn't their sport and what they train at there's not much reason for them to film themselves at it, just like a weightlifter probably wouldn't film himself messing around with levers and handstand presses if they very rarely do it.

Nic Scheelings

Well I wouldn't say this is huge weights but here's a clip of me doing some lifting, as well as gymnastics training. I've since snatched 100K and cleaned 120k.

z3I3blP629o