43 y.o has more circles questions

Started by kevp951, September 27, 2008 · 5 Replies · 1,928 Views

kevp951

o.k. I've been practicing circles for a month now. My forearms have went thru a period that felt like shin splints but the guys i know in their early twenties that do tons of them said they went thru the same thing. However, they said don't know how to teach circles properlly. anyway HERE GOES>> 1. I built the circle bucket thingy today that coach Sommer suggested. I used the Crossfit article. MUCH easier than circles on mushroom. HOW often (every day?) and how much (500 circles???). Question 2. When doing circles on mushroom and people say push hard do they mean push down, down and away (to keep you moving?) just trying to get the feeling down. my best is 4 circles ridin the mushroom on the last 3. Only 1 good circle so far but have eliminated much of the piking. I'd like to progress to 2 good circles soon. thanks, kevin

Blairbob

For the most part you just want to push down on the surface. If you focus to much on pushing away, you may push horizontally away which will open up the shoulder angle.

You want to keep that shoulder over the wrist as much as possible. In fact, you should be leaning in the shoulder while pushing down.

How many? No idea. You're not likely to abuse yourself too much doing bucket circles but it can happen if you are slapping the ground too hard ( like people do on mushroom ) and this can lead to a lot of wrist soreness.

500 sounds like too many, but who knows. I would typically start out at 50 circles on mushroom ( attempts ) at first and eventually progress to no more than a 150. Maybe 200.

Generally, you'll get those forearm shearing and sometimes some pain in the elbows or wrists of course. Not really so much in doing bucket circles, but if you work a lot more, because you can; it will culminate the same.

Every day? I wouldn't work it every day. Eventually you'll need rest. 1 day of rest for every 3 or 2 days of work. You could work them 3 days, take a day off, work 2 and another day off. This fits well based on the work week and doesn't end up getting weird because of 8 or 6 day schedules that overlap funny ( like CrossFit's 3 on, 1 off schedule ).

sasquatch

I saw your video of bucket circles, it was cool.

My friend and I set a bucket up today for them, they're super fun, but they bang-up my shins and ankles.

Do have any ideas on how to make the bucket more comfortable?

braindx
sasquatch said:
I saw your video of bucket circles, it was cool.

My friend and I set a bucket up today for them, they're super fun, but they bang-up my shins and ankles.

Do have any ideas on how to make the bucket more comfortable?

Socks. Doormat or rug that can rotate in the bucket. Etc.

sasquatch
Blairbob said:
Socks, doormat or carpet squares are worse but ok.

I use socks or one of these cuz my friends make them and the transition is really smooth. Also good for lil boys who forget to bring socks.

http://gymnasticsman.com/product_descriptions.htm#Bucket%20Boot

My friend wanted slice open a pillow and stick his feet in it, thats kinda like the bucket shoes your friends made, we should have tried it lol.

The socks are a good Idea, I think I have some shin pads that might work pretty well too.