Basic ring strength 1

Started by Ian Legrow, February 4, 2012 · 12 Replies · 2,590 Views

Ian Legrow

5Ozcm_GiL1M

Ok, so let me start off by saying this is not good. I just recently got extreme rings and finally understand what people say when they say BL is harder on them. I can do a 7s flat tuck on a bar and a 60s regular BL tuck on bar, but rings are different i can only do a BL regular tuck, even then not for very long. This is the absolute best i can do right now. I would not have posted it, but it was the very first time i ever tried and COach said its best to start right away no matter what you can do. Anything that anyone has to say that might give me hints as to how i could get better is much appreciated. Thanks!

-Ian

Joshua Naterman

I would say that the biggest thing you need to work on is your traps. Bands, dumbbells, and some HS pressing work like what Yuri has suggested should all help.

After that, I think that for the BL you will be best served by only going down as far as you can keep a straight spine. Find out where your head starts moving forward by watching videos of yourself and just start working on BL holds before that point. can you see the head forward posture? Your whole upper thoracic spine is rounded and you really want it to be flat. Learning that position will be very important, and may take a few months to really lock in. That's ok, you've got a good start and learning this position will pay off down the road.

Ian Legrow

Thank you slizz. I did know that my back was rounded, i could not do the flat tuck without squeezing my lats so i did the regular tuck, which in the book one of coaches students has a rounded back. But you hacve been to the seminars not me. So would you suggest maybe doing static holds as low as i can go with flat back, as well as back pulls, i have heard back pulls help that is the only reaosn i suggest. Thank you for your advice. I really don't like the video, but its the first tiem i ever tried it, so i can't be too hard on myself.

thanks again!

-Ian

Joshua Naterman

The neck, especially, needs to be straight. That is the big problem I see that needs to be corrected! The head should always be in line with the spine, and the curve should be gentle and smooth. No extra neck flexion

Cole Dano

Considering it's your first time on the rings, i don't see anything that bad, including the curve of your spine or over flexed neck. Just needs some time to develop strength, but that's a given.

Joshua Naterman
Cole Dano said:
Considering it's your first time on the rings, i don't see anything that bad, including the curve of your spine or over flexed neck. Just needs some time to develop strength, but that's a given.

This is true. You are doing excellent, seriously, for your first time on the rings. Just be aware of your posture and only do what you can do perfectly! Just like HS work.

Joshua Naterman
Bdk1786 said:
I applaud your efforts in not squeezing into your lats and scaling down into a position which you can do properly. Like slizz said, keep watching videos of yourself and make your adjustments by comparing them to either coach's boys or other seasoned members of the forum. When I started out, all I had was a flip camera and my rings and I criticized the hell out of myself as I had no one to tell me my problems or what adjustments to make mid exercise. But on that note, I think that is what helped me the most in my body awareness and also in self correcting. Keep posting videos and taking notes and it will all fall into place.

This is so true... Learning to correct yourself gives you an understanding that can't be learned from books or forum posts.

Another thing that helped me and that I have to do again is to set up a webcam so that I can watch my back move and flex in real time and make on the fly corrections. A long VGA cord and an external monitor held by a friend really help for this.

Ian Legrow

Thank you all very much for your cirtiques and ecouragment, it has been wonderful!

TwoMoons

Very cool on posting a video of your first up ring strength session.

I can't help you with any advice as I have also only just started on the rings, (my first go is a lot worse than yours) but I think its good for us beginners to see how other beginners are doing, and where others start off. Looking at some of the more advance videos is excellent, but sometimes can be hard to see how someone could reach those levels. And brave of yourself to post the video too. It also helps us by picking up all the good advice from the others critiquing your work.

Well done.

Cole Dano

It's not unusual that beginners will have to use their feet on the straps just to pull themselves up into any kind of inverted position.

Ian did great.

Ian Legrow

Thank you both very much. I actually looked at my back lever today and it is a lot better. I did not over extend my neck as much (although still a little). But thank you all veyr much for your encouragment

Ian Legrow

Fhhw5gPBKWg

This is me doing basic ring strength 1 again. It has gotten a little better. Things i need to work on: my first inverted hang was not good. My back lever has gotten better. ME falling back into the inverted hang also needs work. I have gotten a tiny bit better but no drastic imrpovments. Critiques are welomce!

thank you

-Ian Legrow

Ian Legrow

Thank you veyr mcuh. I have been activly trying to pull my shoulders back. It is pretty difficult. but i will get there soon!