This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120131

Started by Coach Sommer, January 31, 2012 · 16 Replies · 3,032 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Wrist Pushups

2x10 Cast Wall Walks

2x5 Pike Box Press HS

2x10 Straddle Box Press HS

10 minutes of HS Wall Runs

Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes

8 ) Spend 10 minutes performing HS Wall runs. Time spent resting does not count toward the 10 minute total. Strive to perform the 10 minutes of HS Wall Runs in as few sets as possible.

9) Rest as necessary, but strive to keep rest periods to an absolute minimum. Unless you are already extremely well conditioned gymnastically, this should be a very challenging workout.

10) You may increase the intensity of the HS Wall Runs by lifting a straight arm up to the hips during each step rather than merely touching the shoulder.

Josh Schmitter

General WU

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-Req WU

WOD:2min rest FBE, 60-90s sets)

1x10 Wrist Pushups(knees)

2x80(+/-) steps Plank Walks(Back and Forth living room x2 per set, feet slightly above hips)

2x5 Pike Box Press HeS

2x10 Straddle Box Press HeS(5min rest)

10 min HS wall runs(First 4 Regular Wall Runs, All subsequent Box HeSPU runs)

-2 x [30s on/60s off x 10]/5min between sets

-1x5 wrist pushups(knees), forgot the other 5 after.

Notes:

-Pretty much the same as last time. Regular wall runs still killer. Might have to try something else eventually with this. Also switched up arch hold in pre-reqs to arms out to the side. That is the one hold that I feel is just working me too hard/not feeling solid. Hollow is close behind, so I might switch the arm position in that too. I will be able to accrue more time this way, as, even though they feel solid much of the time, they are still very hard if not right off the bat, by the last set definitely...not really 'Warm up' style.

Kenneth Manning

HS wall runs give me anxiety every time I see them lol.

1x10 wrist pushups

2 x10 cww

pike wall box pHS x 3,3,3,3

Straddle wall pHS x 4,4,4,4,4

HS wall runs 2 min x 5, 2 min rest intervals (brutal)

1x10 wrist pushups

Jon Douglas

On handstand days I habitually do one set of each press with straight arms and one with bent arms. Is this good practise?

Josh Schmitter
Charm said:
On handstand days I habitually do one set of each press with straight arms and one with bent arms. Is this good practise?

No.

Josh Schmitter

Ha, sorry couldn't resist that last post. I think it's mostly covered here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2881

It would be more beneficial to keep the arms straight and and lower the feet onto a box. That is, if you can do a HS Press. If you're only at HeS Press, then I believe killroy and others have had good results by raising the head gradually over time until, eventually, your arms are straight. I think a combo of both will probably be needed at some point, depending on where your starting.

Alvaro

1X10 wrist push ups

2X5 cast wall walks (I felt those weaker today )

2x5 pike press HeS (had no room for straddle)

10 min HS wall runs, Total time 30 mins, the first 5 mins where a total of 12 or so minutes but the last 5 needed more rest.

1x10 wrist push ups

Today I played with touching my legs and not my shoulder. Also played with holding some one arm HS(wall of course), not bad , much more solid, and stronger than last time I tried!. :D

Jon Douglas
TANSTAAFL said:
Charm said:
On handstand days I habitually do one set of each press with straight arms and one with bent arms. Is this good practise?

No.

That's friendly.

I based this practise on reading some of Coach's earlier WoDs which specified alternating straight- and bent-arm presses. Quoting from memory, 'Both are important to develop, and typically an athlete will tend to prefer one or the other.'

If I'm wrong correct me, but straight arm strength carrying over to bent arm strength hasn't been answered to my satisfaction. I quote again from memory 'two different animals.' My understanding is that developing both presses is necessary.

Tyler Schmitz

WOD:

10 Wrist push ups

10 Cast wall walks (set of 7 and set of 3)

2x5 pike box wall press HS

2x10 straddle box wall press HS

10 x 1 min sets of HS hold with some lateral walks

10 cast wall walks (2 sets of 5)

10 wrist push ups

-did the 3-4 ft box press HS's leaning against wall without head touching wall (using head makes this exercise much easier); i assume this would be a better substitution than HeS press HS's? considering HeS variety are really easy for me

-still don't do the normal HS walks bc shoulder hurts if i bend my arm and place it back down so i did some lateral wall walks instead until my shoulders fatigued around 4th or 5th set, then could only perform HS holds for a min at a time

Jon Douglas
TANSTAAFL said:
Ha, sorry couldn't resist that last post. I think it's mostly covered here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2881

It would be more beneficial to keep the arms straight and and lower the feet onto a box. That is, if you can do a HS Press. If you're only at HeS Press, then I believe killroy and others have had good results by raising the head gradually over time until, eventually, your arms are straight. I think a combo of both will probably be needed at some point, depending on where your starting.

This thread doesn't tell me why I should train only straight-arm handstand presses, it just tells me that a) slizzardman likes to argue and b) straight and bent arm presses will not make the other better. I *would* like an answer to this question if someone has a moment please.

Josh Schmitter
Charm said:
TANSTAAFL said:
Ha, sorry couldn't resist that last post. I think it's mostly covered here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2881

It would be more beneficial to keep the arms straight and and lower the feet onto a box. That is, if you can do a HS Press. If you're only at HeS Press, then I believe killroy and others have had good results by raising the head gradually over time until, eventually, your arms are straight. I think a combo of both will probably be needed at some point, depending on where your starting.

This thread doesn't tell me why I should train only straight-arm handstand presses, it just tells me that a) slizzardman likes to argue and b) straight and bent arm presses will not make the other better. I *would* like an answer to this question if someone has a moment please.

Well this has gotten out of hand faster than a buttered fox. First off, many apologies for my sense of humor which, as many(including Slizzardman's) does not translate well over solely written word. The "No" post was meant only in jest. I literally wrote the other comment with the link like 2 minutes after. Anyways, to your original question:

Charm said:
On handstand days I habitually do one set of each press with straight arms and one with bent arms. Is this good practise?

That is fairly vague and completely dependent on your goals. I was taking it to mean(incorrectly), that you were asking if the practice of both would help your straight arm work.

Also, just for the record, Slizzardman's arguments are probably at least half this board, and brimming with information :).

Jon Douglas

Don't sweat it, I'm not really fazed. I just don't like dismissal when I have legitimate questions.

I'll take a moment and put this out in full to clear it up.

That is fairly vague and completely dependent on your goals

I really don't think it is. Coach Somer has stated that press handstands are more productive for time invested than any other single exercises, so if I want to progress through the btgb programme it follows that I need to develop them. Bent-arm presses work different/overlapping muscles (being bent-arm rather than straight) and it seems logical to me to simply divide it by the prescribed sets. If straight-arm presses are to be emphasised, I'd like to have that cleared up, hence my question, and put my time towards more productive ends that way. If I will get more from and progress faster through the programme by equally developing bent-arm presses, then I will proceed with confidence and I believe other people will likely benefit from knowing one way or the other, although I don't mean to put words in anyone's mouth.

Josh Schmitter
Charm said:
Don't sweat it, I'm not really fazed. I just don't like dismissal when I have legitimate questions.

I'll take a moment and put this out in full to clear it up.

That is fairly vague and completely dependent on your goals

I really don't think it is. Coach Somer has stated that press handstands are more productive for time invested than any other single exercises, so if I want to progress through the btgb programme it follows that I need to develop them. Bent-arm presses work different/overlapping muscles (being bent-arm rather than straight) and it seems logical to me to simply divide it by the prescribed sets. If straight-arm presses are to be emphasised, I'd like to have that cleared up, hence my question, and put my time towards more productive ends that way. If I will get more from and progress faster through the programme by equally developing bent-arm presses, then I will proceed with confidence and I believe other people will likely benefit from knowing one way or the other, although I don't mean to put words in anyone's mouth.

I hear ya about being dismissed. My posted link was my attempt at answering said question, although all together unhelpful in the wide view. I definitely do agree bent arm pressing will help you in many areas for progressing through the book. That being said, the WOD's are set very specifically for many reasons(most of which I will not even feign at knowing), and making any kind of modification to them, is usually going to hamper progress in the long run. Now, if say, you were adding some bent arm presses to what was already rx'd in the WOD, or doing them at a different time, I would see no problem. But the fact that you are changing the Rx'd WOD makes me a little wary as far as overall progress goes. I have more to say, but got to do the WOD before I run out of time. Will write more later perhaps.

Jon Douglas

That being said, the WOD's are set very specifically for many reasons(most of which I will not even feign at knowing), and making any kind of modification to them, is usually going to hamper progress in the long run. Now, if say, you were adding some bent arm presses to what was already rx'd in the WOD, or doing them at a different time, I would see no problem. But the fact that you are changing the Rx'd WOD makes me a little wary as far as overall progress goes.

Thats my point. The writtten wod doesn't say do all presses with straght arms. I'm not looking to modify Coach Somer's work in the slightest, one of us has years of gymnastics conditioning success to his name and the other one is me. My interpretation is that bent-arm presses should be developed alongside straight-arm, and on these days the INTENTION and PLAN is that we do one set straight-arm and one set bent. Because I don't know the answer, I am asking.

Jon Douglas
Charm said:

rah rah de alignment rah de scapula rah de press

I think we can agree that the best-case scenario is Handstand Chronicles coming out and giving a definite answer 8)

Josh Schmitter

Ah, all is clear now :). Thanks for taking the time to clarify. I never really even thought about the pressing sets in the WOD possibly being bent arm. I would really think Coach would have made a note of that if that was his intention. AFAIK, HS presses are assumed to be straight arm unless noted otherwise. Also the link in the actual WOD next to the presses also implies straight arm. Handstand chronicles indeed...I'm hoping to get to the Sept. seminar as well :).

Ivan Uzarevic1

FSP Pre-Req WU

Shoulder routine

Did: 1x10 Wrist Push ups on my knees

108 steps of Plank Walks (4 x 32 steps)

2x5 Pike Press to HeS

2x9 Straddle press to HeS

10 min. of holding the barbell + 10 kg over my head (6 x 1 min. + 6 x 45 sec.)

Finished with 1x10 wrist push ups on my knees

notes: I just had to scale HS work somehow in order to achieve 10 min. of quality work, so I held the barbell over my head with full extension of my arms and shoulders..it felt pretty good actually..i hope I made adequate substitution for today work..