Starting Ring Swings

Started by Michael Traynor, January 30, 2012 · 5 Replies · 1,681 Views

Michael Traynor

I've put in a fair bit of prep and now I'm starting ring swings. I've studied tutorial videos closely; thanks to Blairbob for posting these in previous Ring Swing threads.

Here is a short clip of some unlinked swings, I'm working on a tighter arch and more momentum in the back swing but any advice is welcome! Thanks in advance :)

1sVbSMt0sj0

Blairbob

Well, the good news is there is less bad on the back swings than the front swings.

On the back swing for now, focus on pushing the rings as forward as possible before turning out.

On the front swing:

You are levering at the shoulders way too much and too soon. Don't let your ears be uncovered until the swing peaks.

Pull back on the rings in the front swing. You aren't doing this at all really and it's why you are levering to inverted.

You are also piking at your hips somewhat.

I work on only 1 phase of the swing at a time. Either front or back.

Michael Traynor

Thanks Blairbob :) I'll have another bash at them with that in mind :)

Blairbob

No problem. I much rather post or comment on skill execution these days than programming questions or "look at my routine."

Cole Dano
Blairbob said:
No problem. I much rather post or comment on skill execution these days than programming questions or "look at my routine."

:D

I really appreciate your skill related posts BlairBob.

Blairbob

It's something I can contribute on my little part and I've had the experience with coaching and working with adults on them as well as being coached as an adult rather than being coached as a kid in gymnastics. Never had that experience.

So long as you don't get past gymnastic basics, I can chime in. Not really enough experience in the optional levels to talk about it as much. Perhaps, one day.