Miami Seminar

Started by Desiree Walker, January 29, 2012 · 0 Replies · 1,819 Views

Desiree Walker

Just wanted to say - super thanks to Coach Jeff for some great instruction the last weekend and to Carmen (and her husband Eddie) for hosting us their very cool training facility and jiujitsu school. The weather was amazing and such a reprieve from the cold here in NC. (Hubby and I even got a chance to indulge in some South Beach fun :D ) I had a great time with everyone and meeting new folks.

I love to refine my technique - and got some great help with ring strength technique - especially ring handstands. (I definitely had been doing this incorrectly - not turning the rings out!!) A good amount of time was spent on mobility - my nemeses - esp shoulder mobility. A guess everyone has that body part or skill that is locked or blocked - -- and the shoulder girdle is the one for me. As a gymnast - no one ever pointed this out to me (besides telling me to get my arms by my ears - and what good that did - because my limited flexiblity I just couldn't do it ). A long story for another day - but am sure it halted my progression in competitive gymnastics way sooner than it should have. Anyway - with GBs seminars I have a box full of tools to combat this - as well as long term health for my shoulders/upper back too! Good stuff for sure

:D:lol: Anyway - here are my thoughts and some other suggestions about future seminars.

1) Info packet about host site (hotel, restaurants, map-directions- navigation link) with registration - nothing fancy or long - just maybe one page. Just to increase efficiency in planning the trip - esp. traveling from out of town and take some of the guess work out. When I'm in seminar mode - like to be on a mental coast for everything else - so some additional info in that area would be a nice added help

2) Handout to take notes on what will be covered - this could just be the itinerary - printed out in an outline fashion. I found the 3-day seminar workbooks invaluable. Something like this for the 1 day seminar on a much smaller scale would help with mental organization and being able to retain the large volume of info covered. I brought my 3-day seminar workbook from Sept. and put most of my notes in that - so glad all my info is together - in one place.

3) Itinerary: - guess it is the same thing as the handout - but would like some sort of hard-copy schedule for the day. Outline list of what will be covered and for how long. I know this must be very difficult to arrange - with the varied level of athletes and abilities. Would a pre-registeration skills assessment questions be helpful for the coaches? All about making a fluid flow of learning -training - with limited time and varied athletic levels. Not applicable to the 1-day seminar but in the 3-day sept. seminar - - we would be separated according to abilities and rotated stations. When groups are large - I really liked this format.

Anyway - just some thoughts - Others that attended feel free to chime it too :D