I have been stretching quite regularly with the goal of achieving front and side splits. When i perform the front pike stretch for example, i feel mostly in the calves than in the hamstrings...
But apart from tight calves, it is my tight abductors(gluteus minimus, and IT band) area which has been hindering my progress. For instance, if i try to slide down into side splits from a standing position... i feel almost no stretch on myadductors.. and have a tight, slightly painful feeling in the abductors..(I also tried playing around with my pelvis position during the split with no improvement)...
So long story short, i recently read somewhere that selfmyofascial release is helpful in releasing tension in such cases.. Was wondering if there is a specific way you are supposed to perform it? I dont have access to a foam roller, or a chiropractor....
I have a piece of stick, and a cork ball and some Castor Oil at my disposal.. How do i use it to ease tension in my calves and abductors