Shen Yun

Started by Scott Malin, January 28, 2012 · 1 Replies · 2,193 Views

Scott Malin

For those who have an interest in either Chinese classical culture or the fine arts, I highly recommend seeing Shen Yun. I had the opportunity to watch it tonight, and the whole package down to the most minute detail was graceful and technically excellent.

Classical Chinese dance incorporates a fair amount of tumbling; and while it's not directly gymnastic strength, it shows what the human body can do in time and space. At one point, dancers threw a cloth shaped like a snowflake so it spun similar to a frisbee, did a multi part part tumbling sequence, caught the snowflake, and held it as it continued to spin without a moment of interruption. When you add the other layers of the performance on top of that, it becomes an unreal experience.

Just thought it was too superior a show not to make everyone aware of it. :)

Classical Chinese Dance Intro

Quick Start Test Smith

Wow, Cory, this is fantastic. I'm such a bad dancer. It really inspires me to eventually try to learn some of this stuff!