Solution for Europeans Unable to See Shop/Catalog

Started by George Launchbury, September 24, 2008 · 4 Replies · 3,016 Views

George Launchbury

Hi All,

I have a possible solution for people unable to see Shop/Catalog.

REPLICATING THE PROBLEM:

In Firefox ...I get the same white screen/no content problem if I edit my default languages (see bottom for how to find this) so I don't have an English variant at the top of my list, for example:

> English [en]

> English/United Kingdon [en-gb]

> English/United States [en-us]

> Etc.

N.B. This is the same if I remove [en] variants completely, or simply have the [en] variant below a non-english language (in my trial: German [de]). This has also been the case for me in IE6.

THE SOLUTION:

Please try adding English [en] to the top of your language list ...and let me know how you get on!?!?!

IMPORTANT:

1) Delete your Internet Files/Cookies :)

2) It was necessary to close and re-open all instances of browser, after making the changes, before it would update language changes.

(fingers crossed)

George.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To check or change the settings in the following popular browsers, use the menu commands shown below:

Internet Explorer 7: Tools > Internet Options > General (tab) > Languages > Language preference

Internet Explorer 6: Tools > Internet Options > General (tab) > Languages

Firefox 2: Tools -> Options -> Advanced (tab) -> General (tab) -> Languages

Opera 9: Tools > Preferences > Language > Details (button) -> Preferred languages for Web pages

Mozilla 1.7.12: Edit > Preferences > Navigator > Languages > Languages for Web pages

Netscape Navigator 8.1.2: Tools > Options > General > Languages > Languages

Safari: (Set via the Mac OS X system preferences) System preferences > International > Language

IE Mac: Edit > Preferences > Web Browser > Language/Fonts

Galeon: Settings > Preferences > Rendering > Languages

Lynx: O (Options) > Headers Transferred to Remote Servers > Preferred document language

Amaya: Edit > Preferences > Browsing > List of preferred languages

(from: http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-lang-priorities#answer)

Alexander Lechner

It works!!! :D:D

Thank you very very much, George!

Be well

Alex

George Launchbury

Hi again,

Further to this, I tried some other languages (on their own) and got the following results in terms of getting any code back from the server to display in the browser:

German [de] ...FAIL

French [fr] ...SUCCESS

Spanish [es] ...FAIL

Italian [it] ...SUCCESS

Swedish [sv] ...SUCCESS

It seems that one of the parameters passed to the server when the browser requests the page is: Accept-Language: country-code-here Which leads me to think that it may be more of a catalog setting issue than a server setting issue?? ...Especially since people seem to have no issues with other areas of the site. I would guess that those lucky individuals who got in AOK either live in the countries that work alright anyway, or used some variant of [en] language in their browser installation/set-up?

If anyone else who tries this can give an indication of their results (making sure they changed their language first, and then removed cookies/cache before trying), it will help the developers sort it out if they have as many facts as possible.

Many thanks,

George.

P.s. Thanks for letting me know, Alexander. I'm glad it worked for you.

Luís García Rovira

you're a crack, george, thank you very much :D .

mario702

Hey Geroge

It really works!!!

I already had thought to give up. Now I can order what is really important for me!

Best wishes from switzerland!

Mario Foeppl, Reinach :D:D:D