Fish Oil, Quality

Started by Edward Smith, September 24, 2008 · 14 Replies · 4,784 Views

Edward Smith

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to ask about fish oil. I take fish oil as an Omega-3 supplement, my question is, what is the quality of general health food store fish oils? is pharmacutical grade neccessary? (obviously it's optimal) etc, etc.

And if it means anything (quality control, availability, etc) I live in Australia.

Thanks,

Ed

JoeS

Just make sure it's purified, mercury-free. Some brands call this "molecularly distilled".

George Launchbury

You'll find they retain their quality longer if they are stored in glass jars (preferably dark glass, and away from sunlight) instead of plastic which is more permeable. From time to time, break one open and see if the oil is rancid (smells fishy and or tastes funny).

I have read a lot of good reports on Krill Oil - which is very good quality oil, but apparently doesn't have the 'fish burp' factor that a lot of fish oil has. It's also from the bottom of the food chain, so a lot purer and freer of heavy metals.

Unfortunately I have only seen it for sale online in my neck of the woods (non-metropolitan UK).

George.

Edward Smith

I've just returned from Brisbane, where I was visiting my cousins. We went to an awesome market, great food (with a fair few organic stalls), great people and a great selection of things. One stall was an 'Emu Oil' stall. They had lots of products, all Emu oil, including capsules. Emu oil capsules, like fish oil capsules, which contain Omega-3,6 and 9 fats. I know excess Omega-6 is a big problem Paleo overcomes. I'll have to investigate them further!

Ed

Gregor

Fish oil:beware of oxidation->so no sun light...I prefer capsules:no bad taste, EPA, DHA, no oxidation....

George Launchbury

I've always been baffled by "healthful" products that contain Omega 3, 6 and 9. The main point of taking Omega 3 is to address the 3:6 balance, so taking more of something that we already take too much of seems odd!

George.

Edward Smith

Yeah so have I George. One thing that I find interesting is people nowadays are willing to question the government and corporations, etc (I am not a conspiracy theorist or the like) but just "buy it" when it comes to healthy eating and the health food industry, they are an industry like any other out to make money.

Actually, another one is the fat free labeling. I don't mean completely fat free but like 98% (or whatever it may be). The foods that have these labels are ridiculous, I've seen marshmallows with it, MARSHMALLOWS!, I get that some people believe fat makes you fat, to a degree, but I cannot believe people buy into fat free products such as confectionery!

Sorry for my little rant,

Ed

Gregor

Good omega 6 that you can include in your food is GLA!! That's only omega 6 wich I would include, beacuse it's already as George said to many omega 6 in an ordinary food.

rambo5501

Be sure that your fish oil has

EPA, DHA

If it doesn't then you got pretty much junk.

StevenL

Biotest Flameout = awesome

kbryk

Mature's Made is my favorite go percentage of EPA, DHA it is usually buy one get one free where I live, but I also live in Chicago where everything is abundant.

Edward Smith

Well I found a pharmaceutical grade fish oil (according to the official australian zone ite), Blackmores Omega Daily.

Nic Scheelings

Hey Ed,

That's the fish oil i've got, plus the odd can of sardines and i'm hoping that should be enough.

Edward Smith

Hey Demus,

Do you know any good health food/nutrition stores in Melbourne. I've been going to 'Discount Health Super Store' or some such thing which is a health store franchise, any good ones you know of?

Ed

Nic Scheelings

I normally go to Eveleyn Faye nutrition in the city, They are not too bad but i haven't really tried a lot of others.