Muscle Up

Started by Paul Watson, January 26, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,560 Views

Paul Watson

GB Community

Hi Everybody. I am looking for assistance in my quest for the muscle up. When I attempt Muscle Ups I have a difficult time approaching the transition point. I am big across the chest and back area, I believe this has been compounded by strengthening my external rotators to the defecit of my internal rotators. Thus keeping my elbows in front of me before I transition feels difficult.

Beyond internal rotation exercises, what should I strengthen to help me get after the muscle up.

Appreciate any suggestions,

Thank,

Big Paul

John Sapinoso

First off, dude drop the excuses. Your chest / back is not so massive that it impedes your ability to do a muscle up. Secondly, keep doing external rotator work, this is an excellent habit which will serve you down the road...since ring work is inherently heavy on internal rotation and you want to balance it a bit.

The above advice^^^ is pretty good, but post a video if you want some more specific tips, your descritpion is a bit hard to picture.

Randeep Walia

Sapinoso- can you elaborate on what you mean by "external rotator work"?

Ian Legrow

Big Paul: There are several threads related to this issue. i would recommend reading Coach Sommer's essay "Developing the uscle up transition. Its one of the few sticky's in the ring strength section, that should answer all your questions. But keep training it. negatives, false grip pull ups and russian diaps will help a lot. BUt John is right, the more excuses you make the more excuses you gived yourself to not being able to do it. "Believing in yourself means your are half way to your goal" is a quote i saw in a health shop yesterday, i feel its very fitting