Who Says Girls Have Weak Upper Bodies?

Started by Coach Sommer, January 23, 2012 · 19 Replies · 4,445 Views

Coach Sommer

Watch out guys, Carmen is improving by leaps and bounds! :D

nCne-wwav4g

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alvaro

:shock: :D

Joshua Naterman

Holy crap! O_o

That is ridiculous, she's been turning Kryptonian under cover!!!

Joshua Naterman

I think Carmen and Desi are part of an elite squad sent to show the men how things are done!

Cole Dano

Awesome Carmen!

Jaylene Deane

8)

Awesome progress and work ethic, making Korean dips look easy!

I want to do that in three years or so ...It seems so far away...

Rikke Olsen

Yes! More inspiration for us gals :D

Ivan Uzarevic1

From now on I won´t be offended anymore when someone tells me: you train like a girl! :)

John Dalton

Very impressive!! A result of dedication!!

The thing is that I can do korean dips like her 8) but i can't do russian dips, but russian dips are supposed to be a progression to korean dips right?? Whats going on??

Coach Sommer
John Dalton said:
... The thing is that I can do korean dips like her but i can't do russian dips, but russian dips are supposed to be a progression to korean dips right?? Whats going on?? ...

The fault is my own!

After having now worked with thousands and thousands of fitness enthusiasts since BtGB first came out, I now believe that listing Russian Dips ahead of the single bar and korean dip variations was incorrect. This occurred due to the fact that muscle ups and thus Russian Dips were quite easy for my competitive athletes, however the flexibility requirement of deep korean dips was often more taxing for older very strong athletes with planches, iron crosses and malteses on rings who had been less than conscientious in maintaining their ROM.

Finn Frank

Not to wonder off topic but Coach, every post you write now makes me even more excited for BtGB 2nd Edition!

Ryan Libke

Also slightly off-topic, I really like the bar set up in the backyard. It looks like it allows for strength training and parkour/freerunning practice.

Glad to see GB working for all; I note that my little girl (age 4) is enjoying gymnastics strength moves and holds. She trains with me, in her own fashion, more than my son, age 6. I am going to show her the video.

Finn Frank

That bar set up looks awesome!

Looks like it has P-bars, a bar for dead hang pull ups and a super high bar to hang rings from!

Very jealous!

Cole Dano
Coach Sommer said:
John Dalton said:
... The thing is that I can do korean dips like her but i can't do russian dips, but russian dips are supposed to be a progression to korean dips right?? Whats going on?? ...

The fault is my own!

After having now worked with thousands and thousands of fitness enthusiasts since BtGB first came out, I now believe that listing Russian Dips ahead of the single bar and korean dip variations was incorrect. This occurred due to the fact that muscle ups and thus Russian Dips were quite easy for my competitive athletes, however the flexibility requirement of deep korean dips was often more taxing for older very strong athletes with planches, iron crosses and malteses on rings who had been less than conscientious in maintaining their ROM.

That explains it, i've been wondering about that myself.

Mats Trane

Coach or anyone, is there a special gymnastic element (like the planch or when transfering from MU to BL)that the Korean dips would be good for?

Coach Sommer
cdx said:
Coach or anyone, is there a special gymnastic element (like the planch or when transfering from MU to BL)that the Korean dips would be good for?

Not in particular. What Korean dips are excellent for is increasing shoulder girdle ROM due to forcing the athlete's torso to remain relatively 'vertical' with the shoulders directly above the hands during the dip.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Uzeeh

Would a "bench dip" be a good step towards korean dips? The flexibility demand seems to be quite like same.

Finn Frank
Uzeeh said:
Would a "bench dip" be a good step towards korean dips? The flexibility demand seems to be quite like same.

It might be useful as assistance if flexibility is the issue.

Coach Sommer said:
What Korean dips are excellent for is increasing shoulder girdle ROM due to forcing the athlete's torso to remain relatively 'vertical' with the shoulders directly above the hands during the dip.

I think this is where the two movements differ, a bench dip allows you to lean far forward and doesn't get the shoulders under the hands.

Desiree Walker
Coach Sommer said:
Watch out guys, Carmen is improving by leaps and bounds! :D

nCne-wwav4g

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Woot!! Very awesome! - (not to mention the bada$$ setting and video work!)

Carmen even knocked out some beautiful handstand press work at the seminar last weekend! --- progress so evident!

Joshua Naterman

Wow, Carmen IS getting stronger!

I hope to have a nice straight arm HS press by May! Just trying to keep up with you two ladies :) Don't think I'll have the Korean dips though :)