Van Gelder Training

Started by Mats Trane, January 22, 2012 · 33 Replies · 38,876 Views

Joshua Naterman

After watching this again, I can see why the Brazilian won,

I think he's quite a bit bigger than Van Gelder, but definitely not as lean. If you look at his triceps in the maltese they look to be absolutely ridiculous. Shoulders too... I haven't seen shoulders that big since I sparred with mark coleman back when I was 18.

They kind of make me think steroid shoulders, but who knows. Dude may just have huge shoulders.

B1214N
Joshua Naterman said:

After watching this again, I can see why the Brazilian won,

I think he's quite a bit bigger than Van Gelder, but definitely not as lean. If you look at his triceps in the maltese they look to be absolutely ridiculous. Shoulders too... I haven't seen shoulders that big since I sparred with mark coleman back when I was 18.

They kind of make me think steroid shoulders, but who knows. Dude may just have huge shoulders.

I believe that is because he squeezes his triceps into his lats really hard in the maltese. You can see that his triceps puff up when he descends from planche to back lever and then it puffs up significantly when he goes to maltese. Yuri van Gelder is also a bit taller than Zanetti, but it's still hard to tell who's actually bigger.

Joshua Naterman

That's true, but his shoulders are still absolutely ridiculous! They are both giants, the Brazilian and Van Gelder... If they were 6'2" with the same build they'd make me look small.

igalk474

yuri at his best:

Yuri Van Gelder (NED), Maribor 2008, Rings: 1st

ZRX38

gotta love acdc on the background lol

strongyetagil3
igalk474 said:

check this out,

there are more here:

 

I just realized that Gelder was using the dream machine. To him...that's probably same affect as adding helium to himself and flying away knowing his physical conditioning level.

SuperBru
Joshua Slocum said:

Yuri is a rings specialist. His size is impressive but not freakish for someone competing at his level. If you watch the finals from London, many of the competitors are of a similar size:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2407_uPHpIk

That girls like ahhh so much muscle mmmmm.

SuperBru

Lol ignorant commentator "those rings look like a torture device." Man up seriously.  

Hanuman

looks to me like he might do some hypertrophy training he also uses weights in this video

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWcvsnrKJqs

 

u can c him being assisted by some dude as though he was going to failure

 

also because he has already served out a ban for drug abuse for cocaine he may not be that conscientious about taking steroids at the least

 

of course he could just have great genetics

 

or all of the above :D