Exercise selection, varied vs routine

Started by Bryce Warren, January 21, 2012 · 15 Replies · 4,046 Views

Bryce Warren

Alright my question is: How would a selected routine of exercises differ from a constantly changing and varied selection of exercises. Say 2 different exercises for each muscle group, in different planes of movement. For a routine you'd maybe have something along the lines of:

Day 1 - Legs, Lower Back, Core (SLS, GHR / Arch-Ups, HeS Press / Body Lever, Windshield Wipers(or)HLL) along with FL/L-Sit

Day 2 - Shoulders, Traps, Triceps, Chest (HSPU, HS Wall Runs / XR Dips, XR PPPU) along with PL

Day 3 - Biceps, Upper Back, Lats (Inverted Ring Curls, L Chins / Wide L Pull-Ups, XR Rows) along with BL

Day 4 - Rest

Day 5 - Repeat Cycle

Sticking to something like this, along with throwing in FSP work to fit the muscles being worked for that day, how well would this work in terms of both strength/hypertrophy? (Obviously for hypertrophy these exercises would be scaled) This way each FSP is being worked twice a week, and each muscle group has a sufficient amount of time for recovery before being worked again.

Opinions?

Rafael David

I do this way:

UPPER BODY STRENGTH:

D1.VERTICAL PULL/PUSH: ONE ARM CHIN + FREE HANDSTAND PUSH UP

D2.HORIZONTAL PULL/PUSH: PLANCHE PUSH UP + FRONT LEVER ROW

D4.COMBINED PULL/PUSH: MUSCLE UPS

D5.MULTI-PLANE PULLING/PRESS: FRONT LEVER PULLS CIRCLE + CHEST ROLL

LOWER BODY:

D3.ATG SQUAT

D6.DEADLIFT

STATICS:

-PLANCHE (STRADDLE) & FRONT LEVER (FULL) :arrow: 1 DAY OF MAX STRENGTH AND 6 DAYS PREREQUISITES

-HUMAN FLAG (FULL) :arrow: ALL DAYS AFTER HAND BALANCING

HAND BALANCING (AFTER LEG WORKOUT AND BEFORE UPPER BODY WORKOUT, ~20 MINUTES):

-HANDSTAND

-QUEDA DE RIM

-AIR BABY

-ELBOW LEVER

Bryce Warren

No information? Someone has to know some benefits/possible negatives about these variations!

Rafael David

I think that the trick is just pair antagonist to get balance, then when your strength improve just jump to a harder variation. Workout volume/intensity/frequency is all about work capacity.

Philip Chubb
FLeXi said:
No information? Someone has to know some benefits/possible negatives about these variations!

How do these days work in terms of the days of the week? At the moment, it looks like you only work each movement once a week.

Bryce Warren

Mon,Tue,Wed = Work

Thu = Rest

Fri,Sat,Sun = Work

The next cycle would change to:

Mon = Rest

Tue,Wed,Thu = Work

Fri = Rest

Sat,Sun,Mon = Work

Each movement is being worked twice in a 5 days span. From what I read each muscle group needs a sufficient amount of rest, and a 5 day span isn't very long to work the same group.

Philip Chubb

Maybe I am reading this wrong. I don't mean each FSP. I mean each movement (FBE). If you are working each movement twice a week, that is good and will get good gains. If you are working each movement once a week, it may work but it may take longer. Gymnastic exercises are going to be more neural than most weighted ones so twice a week gives more time to "learn" the exercise and faster gains.

Bryce Warren

I don't think you read it very close haha

Sticking to something like this, along with throwing in FSP work to fit the muscles being worked for that day

Meaning the fsp/fbe are being worked twice equally, through a 5 day span.

Philip Chubb
FLeXi said:
I don't think you read it very close haha
Sticking to something like this, along with throwing in FSP work to fit the muscles being worked for that day

Meaning the fsp/fbe are being worked twice equally, through a 5 day span.

It's been a long day.... :mrgreen:. Well then yes, the answer is the same, you will get stronger a lot faster doing this sort of thing. Of course, you'll also need to change the program every 2 to 3 weeks for the best gains (assuming your connective tissues are doing okay). The hypertrophy will be good too as long as your diet is in line and your sleep is fine.

Bryce Warren

I was planning on only changing the reps/sets, not intensity. So I can go from raw strength, into longer TuT.

Philip Chubb

Which will work completely fine. As long as something eventually changes. Sometimes, I just do the same exercise but I add a towel to my rings. It's great when I don't want to change all the exercises around but when I come back, I hit PRs. Not to mention the grip strength.

Bryce Warren

Sounds brutal, gripping towels are always crazy painful by the last set haha. Always found towel pull-ups to be fun though for that reason :P

Philip Chubb

Same here! Need to get two ropes. Or some fatgripz for my rings. When you take them off, everything feels so much easier.

Bryce Warren

I'm overwhelmed to try towels on the rings now. Will be doing that very shortly.

dacicsak
Mikael said:
I do this way:

UPPER BODY STRENGTH:

D1.VERTICAL PULL/PUSH: ONE ARM CHIN + FREE HANDSTAND PUSH UP

D2.HORIZONTAL PULL/PUSH: PLANCHE PUSH UP + FRONT LEVER ROW

D4.COMBINED PULL/PUSH: MUSCLE UPS

D5.MULTI-PLANE PULLING/PRESS: FRONT LEVER PULLS CIRCLE + CHEST ROLL

LOWER BODY:

D3.ATG SQUAT

D6.DEADLIFT

STATICS:

-PLANCHE (STRADDLE) & FRONT LEVER (FULL) :arrow: 1 DAY OF MAX STRENGTH AND 6 DAYS PREREQUISITES

-HUMAN FLAG (FULL) :arrow: ALL DAYS AFTER HAND BALANCING

HAND BALANCING (AFTER LEG WORKOUT AND BEFORE UPPER BODY WORKOUT, ~20 MINUTES):

-HANDSTAND

-QUEDA DE RIM

-AIR BABY

-ELBOW LEVER

This is just a dream routine i was looking for! absolutely nice! one question: where are the core exercises?

thanks

Rafael David

I don't do nothing specific for core. I build a base then I move on to harder exercices, but of course I do HLL and this kind of thing is my warm up. Also, front lever, human flag, air baby, handstand etc even squats and dlifts requires a lot core strength!