Form check: Negative press HS and CWW

Started by Mathias Flækøy, January 20, 2012 · 3 Replies · 1,781 Views

Mathias Flækøy

Hello GB members! Until now i have used press to headstand in my training. Today, i tryed negative press HS and got it on tape. Would be very happy if some of you could critcize my form. What is correct and what is uncorrect?

I also have a video of some CWW. I know i'm bringing my leg a little to high in the beginning of the starting position, and "sliding" my legs down the very end of the wall. Instead, I should try to walk. Next time I have to try it bearfoot :)

uz3p-hCPiX8

pwfmKt80tpw

yuri marmerstein

I'm personally not a fan of the wall presses because

a: does not teach you to balance

b: does not teach you to open your shoulders and leave your hips over your hands.

Really I would focus pretty hard on handstand balance before working a lot on presses

With the being said, you can modify the exercise to work the technique of the press better. Instead of leaning your shoulders to the wall, try to go to a straddle and contact the wall only with your glutes. As you do negatives the goal is to keep your glutes in contact with the wall, lowering your legs while keeping open shoulders and hips over hands to minimize shoulder lean. This should force you to keep your shoulders open, making the press require less energy to complete. Of course, flexibility plays a bigger role with this technique.

Mathias Flækøy

Thanks for your answer Yuri. Will try to follow your tip ;)

Rikke Olsen

My critique, although I'm not very good myself, would be to focus on hollowing you body in your HS. In the videos, you seem to arch your back; keep you shoulders over your hands.

On the negative press to HS, are you pressing the back of your head against the wall? If you do, try not to - you'll experience it's a heck of a lot harder!

CWWs look fine, but again, hollow body, shoulders over hands ;)