Coach, (or slizz, dillon, gregor, blair, razz) Would leg lifts on the floor with a band around your ankles simulate a stall bar hll? With the ground acting to shut down shoulder assistance?
Question for coach on Hanging leg lifts
Started by mikelmarion, January 19, 2012 · 5 Replies · 2,634 Views
mikelmarion said:Coach, (or slizz, dillon, gregor, blair, razz) Would leg lifts on the floor with a band around your ankles simulate a stall bar hll? With the ground acting to shut down shoulder assistance?
It would be similar, I guess, but I feel that the main difference is that you're losing the benefits from the 'hanging' part of the 'hanging leg lift'.
Not really, but it is a good exercise that often helps people with their L compression. Blairbob likes to use that a lot for straddle L and L sit and seems to get good results, as have several other forum members. They don't replace stall bar HLL though.
Edit: misunderstood the question. That's an interesting idea, I have never tried that. You'd need pretty long bands to make that work, but I will play with that at school using some ankle cuffs and the freemotion.
As has been said, the hanging element will be missing. All you really need is to anchor a hanging bar or two handles at shoulder width about 1" away from the corner of the wall and the ceiling, into the joists of course, and use the wall as the stall bars. You'll have the right angles and will be able to lift up to at least a 45 degree angle above horizontal. Cheap, effective training solution.
There are also some interesting pull up handles you can anchor onto a closed door that can be used similarly.
Quite honestly in regard to HLL, I don't like anything but L and V hangs and lifts from L to V or from V to L. This is from my experience coaching the kip for compulsory girls and boys and myself.
slizzardman said:Not really, but it is a good exercise that often helps people with their L compression. Blairbob likes to use that a lot for straddle L and L sit and seems to get good results, as have several other forum members. They don't replace stall bar HLL though.Edit: misunderstood the question. That's an interesting idea, I have never tried that. You'd need pretty long bands to make that work, but I will play with that at school using some ankle cuffs and the freemotion.
As has been said, the hanging element will be missing. All you really need is to anchor a hanging bar or two handles at shoulder width about 1" away from the corner of the wall and the ceiling, into the joists of course, and use the wall as the stall bars. You'll have the right angles and will be able to lift up to at least a 45 degree angle above horizontal. Cheap, effective training solution.
There are also some interesting pull up handles you can anchor onto a closed door that can be used similarly.
so what is the hanging element adding? I can do a 60 sec dead hang. It would be more for ab strength with the bands acting as gravity lol. It really works the muscles.
Hanging makes it more difficult because of leverage. Banded sounds interesting but I've yet to ever try it.
I've got 2 bands I generally use for upper body prehab and I think if I anchor them to the bottom of a squat cage it might be interesting. Might also be something useful for gymnasts should I ever coach them again.
Gods knows we used to zillions of lying leg lifts in karate.