Building a Mushroom

Started by Walt Peacock, September 21, 2008 · 15 Replies · 26,221 Views

Walt Peacock

Hey eneryone. I really want to build a mushroom. Any tips on how to do it?

Thanks

G00SE

http://www.westsideacademy.com/boysteam/mushroom.php

that website should help- i am going to try out the instructions myself this week- it'll save a lot of money-it'll probably cost no more than 50 dollars compared to the near 300 for professional mushrooms

i do suggest, however, to make the base a little bit wider than the mushroom head-otherwise the mushroom may tip over if you place your hands too far off from center

hope that helps

JaredLLL

Is there a standard size that you can expect from all commercial mushroom's/ pommel tops?

in that one is not made larger or smaller for ppl, and that all are the same ?

Blairbob

Most gymnastics mushrooms are about the same diameter and height with a small variance.

Their are adjustable height ones and I have not see any toadstools commercially available but they tend to be very wide.

JaredLLL

thanks, i was looking around on craigslist and hopefully i'll be able to land one for around 200 bucks.. i figure that vs retail beats out trying to make one from scratch.

Blairbob

I actually ended getting mine shipped from Southern Ca by looking at the CL there. In fact, just for fun, I was looking all over the country just to see what there was, especially CA, NV, and Oregon.

I got mine for 90+shipping.

Coach Sommer

Best Mushroom Trainers are the EGE Models

The best mushroom-like training device it has ever been my pleasure to work on (I own two of them) are the EGE trainers. In fact the small red one (extra low, uses a single pommel and is only 1/3 the length of a pommel horse) was originally custom designed for me to my own specifications. The unique extra curved design was originally used in China and greatly reduces wrist fatigue while working circles. Below is a quote on the product from Norberts:

floorhhorsetrainers.gif

"Unique wrist-friendly mushroom/pommel hybrids designed to be used by athletes of all ages and skill levels. Norbert's Floor Horse Trainers are very stable, require no heavy footing, won’t damage floors and are easily portable. Use with or without pommels (pommels not included). 18oz vinyl skin is available in orange, red, blue & black. Two models from which to choose."

Click here to visit this product listing at Norberts Gymnastic Supply.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

G00SE

which would be better if you can only afford to get one

The Shetland is shorter and on the site it says it forces more extension while the Clydesdale allows you to practice traveling up and down

I just started practicing circles 2 months ago-ive worked my way up to five and i've been looking to getting something i can use to train at home-these tools seem much better than the normal mushrooms out there but which would u recommend to someone like me?

Blairbob

If you can afford it, I would go with the Clydesdale to be more cost effective. You could either buy the pommels as well or wait on them.

Walt Peacock

Check out the thread above this one on the equipment page. I posted a link to my blog where I show how I built one!

www.gymnasticsstrength.blogspot.com

George Launchbury

Hi suprtank,

When linking to threads it's best not to use diections based on the order they appear in, since that changes whenever a new post is made. It would be best to do so like this:

> http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5588

I also changed the name of that thread to: How I built my own Mushroom, since having two threads with the same name was a little confusing. :)

Regards,

George.

Gregor

Slika0003-1.jpgSlika0007.jpgSlika0006-1.jpg-1.jpgSlika0004.jpg

First, second and a third mushroom are home made and a lot better then from gymnastic stores: not to soft and not to hard, it's not slippery amd it's stably.

Fourth and fifth are from spieth (on the last one you can put one or two pommels on).

G00SE

Gregor, how were they made?

pics 1 and 2 seem like the same mushroom-where the head is removable for floor practice-anyway, directions on how to make one would be very much appreciated.

Gregor

No heads are not remowable.

I don't have any idea, beacuse the coach who bild it, it's not anymore in gym.

Blairbob

I think if I were to take off the top on my mushroom at home, it can be used as a mushroom. A single and double pommel top are available for it as well.

Ewalk91

so does anyone know how to build the forth one (in the picture)? or have a how to.

Cause i seen a blueprint for the just the base.....but i want to build one with the pommels.