This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120116

Started by Coach Sommer, January 16, 2012 · 18 Replies · 2,409 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo XR Bulgarian Dip

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo Half Neg Rev MU

1 Embedded FL + 6 Tempo Under-grip HLL

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier Curl/Dip variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

3) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

4) Use a tempo of 242 for the XR Bulgarian Dip and the Under-grip HLL. As such, for the Under-grip HLL the breakdown of the tempo will be a 2 second ascent, followed by a 4 second pause at the top, then a controlled 2 second descent.

5) The assigned tempo for today’s GB WOD will not apply to the Half Neg MU; simply perform this element as slowly as you are able.

6) Add weight as necessary to the any of the exercises to make them very challenging for the five repetitions.

7) You may scale the workout as necessary by substituting another exercise from the same movement family as necessary.

Alvaro

3X

-XR Lsit + 5 tempo dips

-BL(tuck) + 5 tempo barbell curls (12 kilos ); I have found that I can control better this movement with weights till I´m able to perform it properly

-FL(tuck)+ 5 tempo undergrip HLL (ups I misunderstood the number…)

2x5 bridge wall walks

overall pretty well, I notice how I have neglected the XR support and Lsit and the german hang... :oops: . Time to recover!. The bridge wall walks are much better than the last time, next time I´ll try 10 in a row as Rx´d.

Josh Schmitter

General WU

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req WU

3 sets of each/rx'd rests:

15s L-sit(90/90) + 5 Tempo Chair Dips(5 full, 4 full/1 foot assist ascent, 3 full/2 foot assist ascent)

15s GH + 5 Tempo Chins(2,3,4 pallet bands respectively/last set broken 3,2)

15s L-sit hang(90/90) + 5 Tempo HLL

10 BWW(5,5)

Notes:

-Pre-reqs felt really good again today.

-WU sets = some chin up grip rows, foot supported chair dips

-First set of chins was mostly 2 pallet bands as 1 snapped during the first rep. Perhaps the time for safety glasses is in order...I guess they are more appropriate for lever assistance, etc. when you not supporting as much weight. Perhaps I'll pick up some real bands soon. Also I should have used 4 bands the whole time...grip/forearms were working way to hard w/ this tempo which always hurts my ability to work the HLL...I know better when there's a long iso hold for TUT...eh.

-The HLL weren't as bad as expected, but I just realized I only did 5. Wouldn't have been able to do 6 w/out either taking more rest or breaking sets.

Josh Schmitter
omegant said:
-FL(tuck)+ 5 tempo undergrip HLL (ups I misunderstood the number…)

Ha, I didn't see your post until after I also made this mistake.

omegant said:
2x5 bridge wall walks

The bridge wall walks are much better than the last time, next time I´ll try 10 in a row as Rx´d.

Just curious, are you doing these w/ straight arms? I am definitely not focusing on these(i.e. doing any other bridge work/etc), so I'm not surprised/expecting to see any progress, but they very hard...and this is only going down a few steps. Bent arms I can go to the floor, but straight...forget it.

Ivan Uzarevic1

Hello everyone!

What are "Half Neg MU"?? Are they "Reverse Muscle-up - half"?? Are we talking here about curl movement??

Alvaro

Yep I am going down with bended arms, I suppose that straight arms is a more advanced requirement. I just tried because I had never done it before, I can go down like two palms from the floor (one palm less than bend arms). I don´t know if it is really necessary as it is more a back exercise. Maybe is good for opening the shoulders though. :?:

Ivan Uzarevic1

FSP Pre-req WU

Shoulder routine

Did 3 giant sets:

15 sec L -sit (first 2 rounds FX, 3rd round PB L-sit) + 5 Tempo PB Dips

15 sec BL tuck + 5 Tempo Chin ups

15 sec L-hang + 5 Tempo under grip HLL (I know that we had to do 6, but even 5 killed me!)

Finished with Bridge work on stall bars (I put my feet a little bit higher on stall bars and then entered the Bridge; that way I could focus on stretching my shoulders and it felt great, probably the best stretch of my shoulders so far :) )

adrianc714

I too would like to know what a half negative muscle up is?? I understand what a negative MU is but half???

adrianc714

ok Now I know what the coach was talking about. Turn to page 104 on btgb. It is a curl

Variation. Wow that one looks tuf!! I will have to scale down.

Cole Dano

I sent a PM to Coach on the Half Neg MU, it's almost certainly a typo and should read Neg Half Rev MU.

A small personal update, that was something i couldn't even think of for quite some time and i would just do the Inverted Curls. Yesterday when i did the WOD it felt like it was time to give it try.

Even the shoulder-stand was out of my league earlier, but had no problem doing that yesterday.

To do the Neg i set a pair of rings up on my pull up bar which is in front of a door. I can have the door open or closed depending on what i'm doing and this i a great mental help as i know it will catch me. I set up a stack of blankets for padding in case the Neg turned in to a free fall, and stacked some pillows against the wall that i could somewhat slide down the first couple of reps.

First reps the rings were set quite low so the ROM went to where my elbows were bent about 90 deg. Each following round i lifted the rings a few inches ending with close to full ROM.

This was a great way to ease into the new movement and stay safe.

It's always a great feeling when you take a step forward, however modest.

To top the day off, when in our Yoga Strength class i was getting the group of ladies to do some basic front and back pulls i was able for the first time to do a full layout neg front pull with control, of course it helps when your wife is watching. She was even getting somewhat of a front pull, which is not a small feat for a women in her 40's and no experience prior to our starting this modified GB style class late last year.

Ivan Uzarevic1

Great achievement Cole! And useful tip..good that we resolved "lapsus linguae" for today´s WOD! :D

adrianc714

you know im still confused as to what Half Neg MU is. i bet it isnt a curl variation. i hope coach replies before 3 because im doing this WOD today after work. i was gonna do it yesterday but had to postpone due to rain :x thanks for reaching out to him cole :)

Ivan Uzarevic1

we can organise a live bet here :D ..because I bet it is a curl movement!! we´ll see when Coach replies..

Cole Dano

These workouts consistently follow a push/pull/core pattern, so a the curl would fit against the dip nicely.

In the past it was a Neg Half Rev MU, i'm almost willing to bet on it, but Coach has shown me wrong too many times already.

Cole Dano

I just received word from Coach, it is almost a Neg Half Rev MU and has been corrected - to - well a Half Neg Rev MU

adrianc714
Cole Dano said:
I just received word from Coach, it is almost a Neg Half Rev MU and has been corrected - to - well a Half Neg Rev MU

still lost hahaha sorry so how exactly does this workout work?? can anyone explain. btw thanks for reaching out to coach for clarification

adrianc714

here is a video of the negative series of muscle ups. can anyone point out if it is located in this video??

http://youtu.be/s8FiaXwCvoI

Cole Dano

Yes it's there. If you have the book look up Reverse Muscle Up. The Negative version is just the going down part.

adrianc714

AHH yess now i know what your talking about. nice! thanks cole!