flexibility improving but comes with a soundtrack!

Started by Blythe Tait, January 15, 2012 · 2 Replies · 2,055 Views

Blythe Tait

Hi, All.

One of the big changes I have put into my WODs since Coach Sommer's seminars in Australia is the joint mobility drills. My shoulders are tight, and since doing shrugs, slizzardman's shoulder mobility stuff, Ido's shoulder work, and the LS stuff from the seminars, my flexibility is definitely improving, and I am also undoubtedly getting stronger.

The only issue is that I now often get a 'popping' sound somewhere in my shoulder girdle when I do some movements (I think it is related to the clavicle, but I'm not sure), and often when I sneeze. It is painless, and as I said, I can tell from my progress throughout my SSCs that I am getting stronger in upper body movements.

I suppose I can get a physio to check it out, but I don't have a lot of faith in physios (apologies to those physios who do great work and take offence), and my creed is generally 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I am more interested in hearing from people who do these kinds of workouts and would be familiar with the joint prep I'm doing. Has anyone experienced clunking/clicking etc as they do more joint prep work??

jl5555

Are you doing any rolling work on a regular basis? The shoulder can be tough to target but the benefits are enormous. Foam roller for general work and lacrosse/tennis ball for more specific areas. I would ask Slizz to point to specific areas to target.

Blythe Tait

Thank you for your suggestion. No, I hadn't been doing that before workout. I gave it a go, and definitely less popping. I'm tight in the thoracics, and I think as maybe this tightness is causing the popping, even as other areas become more flexible...