Maltodextrin

Started by Bobby B, January 15, 2012 · 9 Replies · 3,666 Views

Bobby B

I've been coming across recommendations about mixing dextrose and maltodextrin in a 1:1 ratio in respect to the carb portion for a post workout drink. The way I understand it maltodextrin breaks down slower then dextrose because it passes through the liver.

By combining dextrose and maltodextrin you're getting quick absorption of the dextrose, and a steady flow of blood sugar from the maltodextrin

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any benefits performance wise for GB style training? I'm understanding that maltodextrin isn't naturally occurring but manufactured from rice, corn or potato starches. I'm thinking I should avoid it for this reason just in terms of general health but I'm not sure

MH87

I don't get it why some people do this..

You might as well be eating pasta.

Bobby B
MH87 said:
I don't get it why some people do this..

You might as well be eating pasta.

That was one of my concerns. Just wanted to get some opinions as I'm still near the start of the nutritional learning curve

Falcon
MH87 said:
pasta.

:? Seriously :?:

I don't find pasta as the best post workout shake. Neither I do find it healthy enough to eat anytime.

On the topic: Ummm, it's cool. Why not. I think that would be a solution if you can't get another shake in you in... say... 30 minutes or so.

MH87

Must... resist.... trolling...

I am just going to log out again.

Peace :)

Falcon

Honestly, I don't know what kind of reaction you expected on forum where like 80% (or more?) of people are paleo.

Even more so on a topic about post workout shakes. In my opinion, eating pasta post workout is not exactly the best thing you can do. OP is right about the maltodextrin, and it's better I said, when you have only one post workout shake.

MH87

Hi again.

Hehe - I dunno if its a language barrier or what. I wasn't saying he should have pasta lol. Quite the contrary. :)

Falcon

facepalm.jpg

Sunday evenings.

Seems like we're in the same boat then. :lol: Sorry mate, my bad. :D

I really should learn to read more than just "You, eating, pasta." :D

Larry Roseman

It has to do with the osmolarity of the solution, which is similar to concentration. When a high concentration of solute is ingested, gastric emptying is slowed. So even though glucose metabolizes faster, it doesn't neccessarily reach the bloodstream

faster than the combination. In fact, some studies have shown that the combination of the two reaches the blood stream faster. Eg, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7473216

There are no lectins associated with maltodextrin, so I wouldn't lump it together with starches. It's two or more glucose molecules bonded together that disassemble during digestion. Some people can stomach the combination better too. I personally don't go to the trouble to do this. In real terms, it's probably a few carb grams difference over a few minutes.

Samuel Carr

I put like 15-20 grams of dextrose with 10 grams of protein in a 1 liter water bottle that i drink during my workout but so far haven't really noticed anything from it