Scapula articulation in shoulder flexion/extension skills

Started by sean.albo, January 14, 2012 · 2 Replies · 1,802 Views

sean.albo

I'm not sure if I've understood this correctly, but I think have read that in the handstand, the scapulae should be internally rotating the humerus, and in a planche, the scapulae should be externally rotating. Is this correct?

Also, in the case that this is correct, would movements that involve moving from extension to flexion (e.g., press handstand from l-sit), or vice versa, require the rotational component of the scapula occur through the movement (as opposed to transitioning from extension to flexion and then rotating?

I hope I don't have this all wrong :lol:

Philip Chubb

I am really not sure but I feel like it may be the other way around. When I do a handstand, I am trying to open my arm pits out. It feels way more stable then when they're rotated in. With the planche, I am trying to do the opposite and close my armpits.

As for the transition, I am playing with it too and I think you would have to ask Yuri, or Handbalancer, or Ace, to be sure.

sean.albo

Thanks for the reply. I think what you say actually confirms what I was trying to figure out: I feel that turning my armpits out involves internal rotation of the humerus.

Again, thanks,

.sean