Recently went to mexico for a week, filmed some training
enjoy
KxtMStkm_YQ
Started by yuri marmerstein, January 13, 2012 · 24 Replies · 4,558 Views
Recently went to mexico for a week, filmed some training
enjoy
KxtMStkm_YQ
Very nice your OAHs, looks like you improve it...How you started training that? You followed some protocol?
Amazing you can do that after drinking tequila all night!
Mikael said:Very nice your OAHs, looks like you improve it...How you started training that? You followed some protocol?
Thanks. I started by just goofing around with handstands a lot. The "protocol" will be based on the individual but high volume is definitely a must
jl5555 said:Amazing you can do that after drinking tequila all night!
haha I usually try to stay away from the tequila
Yuri, quick quesiton. It was recommended to me that i get into HS from entering a tuck HS and extending my legs. I find this very difficult, but it was recommended to me by an handbalancer. It seems that my shoulders have a hard time staying open when i try this position.
What do you recommend?
I use the tuck to HS to begin and end most of my sets(assuming I don't fall). I used to kick into it until I was told to use the tuck. It felt awkward at first but now I love it
However, for this method to be easy and efficient it helps a lot to have a decent open shoulder tuck handstand, which takes a degree of active flexibility.
I don't teach the tuck to HS to beginners as it is a bit more difficult initially than just kicking. For less experienced balancers I think the easiest way to get up to the HS is to kick from a crouch with hands already on the ground and hips up
Ian Legrow said:Yuri, quick quesiton. It was recommended to me that i get into HS from entering a tuck HS and extending my legs. I find this very difficult, but it was recommended to me by an handbalancer. It seems that my shoulders have a hard time staying open when i try this position.What do you recommend?
One thing I find out by myself is, if I keep my sternum down, like putting my diaphragm in and down, I can activate my lats and this allows me to get in a more control tuck.. I'm not in the press yet, but I can do a little kick from tuck to handstand tuck and then extend my legs.. Also doing negatives helps to get the feel of this move.. Don't know if this is the right thing to do or not, but hope this helps...
Just great that you visit Mexico!!
What places did you visit here in Mexico??
Greetings!
Thank you black cat. Yuval Avalobn actually told me that that is the best way to get used to getting into the HS from the tuck position. I have a medicore video (i say mediocre becasue i am very critical of myself) but i didn't put it on here becasue i don't want people to get sick of seeing the same thing from me.
Thank you for suggesting the negatives!
-Ian Legrow
Ian Legrow said:Thank you black cat. Yuval Avalobn actually told me that that is the best way to get used to getting into the HS from the tuck position. I have a medicore video (i say mediocre becasue i am very critical of myself) but i didn't put it on here becasue i don't want people to get sick of seeing the same thing from me.Thank you for suggesting the negatives!
-Ian Legrow
I wish I have someone that could told me all of those things. I train alone, in here I can't find adult class or something.. This forum is my only coach, that and my own videos and I'm always trying to see videos of gymnastics and cirque du soleil...
But those tips are hard to notice if you don't know what to look for..
blackcat said:Ian Legrow said:Yuri, quick quesiton. It was recommended to me that i get into HS from entering a tuck HS and extending my legs. I find this very difficult, but it was recommended to me by an handbalancer. It seems that my shoulders have a hard time staying open when i try this position.What do you recommend?
One thing I find out by myself is, if I keep my sternum down, like putting my diaphragm in and down, I can activate my lats and this allows me to get in a more control tuck.. I'm not in the press yet, but I can do a little kick from tuck to handstand tuck and then extend my legs.. Also doing negatives helps to get the feel of this move.. Don't know if this is the right thing to do or not, but hope this helps...
Remember, we are talking about jumping tuck to HS. Negative tuck press on the way down. The idea is to conserve energy getting to the HS, and the nice thing about the tuck compared to the kick is the symmetry, making it a more elegant movement.
But tucking is more advanced than kicking, so that is one thing to keep in mind.
Yes Blackcat. I am in the same boat as you. I got Yuval's e-mail from Youtube and asked him if he had digital coaching. he said no, but he would critique my videos if i sent them to him. He also said if i am ever in vegas he gives lessons for $50 an hour. So i am saving for that. But I was disgussing the saem thing with my wife yesterday. She does Dressage (horse thing) and its very complicated. But she has someone who stands by her and tells her exactly what she is doing wrong. But there is not one in Dallas TX who will take adults for gymnastics becasue of insurance reasons, and there is no such thing as a handbalancing Teacher in Dallas or surrounding areas.
I understand the frustration, there are holes in some of my closets at home from the frustration i felt back a few months ago. Keep going my friend, the more you practice the faster you will see results.
-Ian Legrow
Nice Yuri! Looks like you have improved your 1 arm flag since I visited you in December! I also really liked that little toe touch at 4:08, pretty bad ass!
Ian Legrow said:He also said if i am ever in vegas he gives lessons for $50 an hour.
My mom is always in Vegas doing music...This is good to know. Thanks Ian.
PHILIP said:Ian Legrow said:He also said if i am ever in vegas he gives lessons for $50 an hour.My mom is always in Vegas doing music...This is good to know. Thanks Ian.
Your so lucky! The two places i want to go (vegas for Yuval and Arizona for a GB seminar) will cost me over 700 dollars for me and my wife to both go. Its just a matter of saving. Dallas Texas has everything someone want...except me. Zero when it comes to anything that has to do with exercise...except gyms and stuff, but i dont like them.
Oh Philip, you have strength, and oppertunity to get lessons from the best. LUCKY!
-Ian Legrow
Haha thank you my friend! Though I don't feel too strong when I'm watching a Yuri video. I will be sure to!
You guys are more than welcome to train with me if you ever find yourself in Vegas
Yuri, trust me, once i save up after i set up an appt with Yuval, you will be the second person i call. I hope i can start saving the money soon.
You are in Vegas too Yuri? This is going to be an awesome trip it seems!!!
again philip, very jealous :wink:
I'm in Portugal ![]()
I'm not sure how it works when she goes, but if she does and she takes me and I have a room, you are more than welcome to stay in it too. It'll cut down on the cost of travel a little bit.
Amazing - even with that cockroach running by in the video at 1:08 you maintained perfect control.
Nice video! Did you learn tumbling on your own? I'm 32 y.o. and would like to learn some tumbling, if it's not too late
. What are the basic steps?
I did learn to tumble on my own, however I highly recommend getting someone to teach you.
I spent years not really knowing what I was doing and because of this developed a lot of bad habits I'm still trying to fix.
Get to a gym, start with the basics and build from there