Stress/Strain Curves

Started by Joshua Naterman, January 12, 2012 · 5 Replies · 6,655 Views

Joshua Naterman

So, I have talked about this for a while on and off. Stress/strain curves are important to understand so that you know why it is important to use steady state cycles and not to push too hard too soon, both for statics and for plyometric-style work.

The way high forces are produced is a bit different (rapid redirection with plyometrics, low leverage/poor mechanical advantage for statics) but in both cases you have to keep doing the same thing over and over again until the tissue stops adapting because it is strong enough to no longer need to adapt. This involves small, incremental alterations in load and duration of load.

The following video is part of the wikipremed.com curriculum and specifically addresses this topic, so I decided to share it here. It doesn't cover EVERYTHING but it helps develop a basic understanding.

Hope you all enjoy!

http://www.wikipremed.com/course_videos.php?syl=02&video_code=010107_01

Bruno Cochofel

I'm curious.. Have to see this video but since it's a bit long, can+t do that in my work :mrgreen:

Slizz, you always find a way to teach us more and more.. Thanks

Scott Fischer

Thanks, I'm keen to check this out over the weekend

Quick Start Test Smith

I will watch this ASAP.

Bobby B
Cole Dano said:
Nice one.

I just stumbled onto this and was shocked at the high degree of scientific info for a bodybuilding site - http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/articles.html

Thanks for the link. I've been reading a few of the articles and they're helping consolidate a some of the info from this forum. Good stuff