shoulder stretches without equipment

Started by Jhaek, January 10, 2012 · 12 Replies · 5,252 Views

Jhaek

well im rather poor and I live in a small city so I cant get equipment (except for belt) and I my main priority is the handstand so I need to open my shoulder angle but I wonder some stretching exercises except the shoulder dislocates , shoulder extention , the cat stretch and the shrug push ups? Can someone tell me what else can I exercise with?

Adam Bodestyne

There's these set of floor shoulder stretches that slizzardman goes over in this video:

- (Fix your shoulder pain! Part 1)
Jhaek

thanks if somebody knows even more - dont hesitate to tell me :)

Bruno Cochofel

Shoulder wall extensions are great, and you can also use some rope or something to do shoulder dislocates.

You can do also SMR with the massage ball, you can replace the specific massage ball with a tennis or lacrosse one. SMR is really good for mobility.

One thing you can always check is the mobility WOD site, it has plenty of exercises with minimal equipment...

Aaron Griffin

I'm a fan of what I call the "crab stretch" but it's more akin to a floor german hang - sit on the floor and push yourself up into a "table top" or "crab pose". Keeping the hands in place, walk the feet farther away and sit back down keeping the arms straight. As you loosen up, you can walk forward a bit more to intensify the stretch

Cole Dano

For HS opening, leaning into a wall is one of the best, you can work it from two main angles. One very close in and working to hollow the belly and lower ribs away from the wall, which reaching the arms up, and trying to get the shoulders to the ears.

Then at 90 degrees, body parallel to the floor trying to get the shoulders lower than the hands, again maintaining the hollow. This can also be done with hands on a table.

No need for much equipment.

Jhaek
Cole Dano said:
For HS opening, leaning into a wall is one of the best, you can work it from two main angles. One very close in and working to hollow the belly and lower ribs away from the wall, which reaching the arms up, and trying to get the shoulders to the ears.

Then at 90 degrees, body parallel to the floor trying to get the shoulders lower than the hands, again maintaining the hollow. This can also be done with hands on a table.

No need for much equipment.

I didnt understand exactly what do you do .Could you explain please or give a picture ?

Cole Dano

This is the lower position, the other would be with the hands as high up the wall as possible. Its just like a standing wall HS.

1_Wall_Dog.jpg

Ian Legrow

Mr. Brady ( i hope you don't mind if i continue to call you that) you never cease to give good information. Thank you sir.

Jhaek

Yes I agree that he gives very useful information and thanks for everything! But I wonder whats the difference between the cat stretch and the 90 degrees position (except that it stretches your legs )

Cole Dano

They all have similarities, and give slightly different ways of working on HS shoulder opening. One isn't better than the other.

I have no idea what Ian is going on about.

Aaron Griffin
Jhaek said:
Yes I agree that he gives very useful information and thanks for everything! But I wonder whats the difference between the cat stretch and the 90 degrees position (except that it stretches your legs )

In the cat stretch I can easily get my forehead on the floor and still have ROM to spare.

Jhaek
are those exercises any good ?