I origionally posted this on my Workout log but thought it'd help to have it here:
I've been at this very abbreviated McRobert training for a solid 7 months now after years of niggling injuries and can definitively say it's the best move I've ever made. Although it’s a big book to read I'd advise everyone who's serious about training and averse to steroids to read it. If you don't want to fork out for it there's a brilliant article summarising it here:
http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9704
It took me a good 3months of experimenting with different rep ranges, volume, frequency and intensity but I think I've got cracked now. I just do a whole body workout once every 6-7days depending on how much sleep I get due to my shift pattern. I do all exercises at 3 seconds down, 2 up and never go to failure. This is all I do now:
Squats
3*50%
3*75%
3*100%
Calf Raises
5*50%
5*75%
5*100%
(Straddle stretch)
30s, 30s
Prone Row
3*50%
3*75%
3*100%
(Pike stretch)
30s, 30s
Bench Press
3*50%
3*75%
3*100%
L-Fly
5*50%
5*100%
By switching to this much lower volume of only 5 work sets a week I've consistently made modest gains every workout without fail so far. I simply add 1-5kg to the squat & calf raises every week and 0.5-2.5kg to push/pulls depending where in the cycle I am, making the smaller gains towards the end of each cycle. I realize this isn't really BW work any more but the this is the only I've found will work for me from years of fruitless training. Sadly when I looked back at my GB workout logs I actually found a steady decrease in strength over the 18months that I stuck to it due to the chronic over-training. This isn't surprising now when i compare the 75work sets a week (3 full body workouts a week) to the 5 work sets a week that now work for me. This isn't to say that I've given up on GB, I just intend to build up slowly as I am doing to certain safe movements such as handstand push-ups and weighted pull-ups, dips etc. Anything of the Bulgarian variations where the elbows flare out I've found to play havoc on my rotators and have completely omitted from my goals. Cuban press for one. Within days of stopping this exercise and simply doing L-flys I noticed a massive difference in my shoulders. Another point of note I found from this is that I found the idea of higher reps for joint health to be a complete at utter myth. Although low impact cardio seems to help recovery immensely this does not apply to doing compound exercises with slow tempo for higher reps (15-30) just exacerbated my over-training issues and tendon pain. I started out at these numbers and as I gradually dropped the reps and frequency over months he jumps in strength seemed to be inversely proportional to the reps used, with the best results coming at the 3*3 format I'm now using for most exercises. This ties in very well with this article that I would advise anyone interested to read on low volume AND low reps:
http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/the- ... fault.aspx
The idea if only higher reps working for calf raises I also found to be utter rubbish for me and was only able to start progressing when I dropped to below 10reps, the gains increased dramatically when I dropped the reps to 5. And surprisingly my calfs have actually started growing for the first time ever for me as well despite all the lit' proclaiming higher reps being the only thing that causes calf hypertrophy.
Although I've now converted to a completely weights based routine now, I've written this I hope some people will learn from my experience and years of fruitless training & injuries. If you've been doing a routine for months on end and had little of no improvements or started getting tendon pain, just give lower volume a try with your BW exercises. What have you got to loose? A couple of months of exercise out of lifetime? Even if it's just dropping your work sets to 1 and only doing a 2-3workouts a week. This may help many people with restricted recovery capacity. I realise I'm at the extreme end of the spectrum to have to drop to a volume this low but many may not have to go this far. There are undoubtedly genetically gifted individuals who respond much better to a higher volume regimen. However if you are one of these people I doubt you'd be reading this as you're already training every day for the Olympics and have been a very gifted athlete for many years already. Also notice that I said strength and not skill, I realise that skill work simply requires more practice than the volume I train at and I accept that. Although my hope is that once I'm strong enough that certain skill work such as handstands could be considered 'medium' or 'light' intensity and therefore within my recovery capacity. If this bloody long article even helps a select few on this forum reach a little further in their pursuit of strength then I'll happily accept the inevitable abuse that's sure to come from the volume fanatics for even suggesting this format of training.