This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Thanners' Workout Log

Started by Adam Bodestyne, January 9, 2012 · 11 Replies · 940 Views

Adam Bodestyne

Hi all.

With the start of a new year, I thought it would be a good time to finally start logging my workouts. It might also be a good time to reassess how I am currently training, and see whether any changes or improvements might be had.

Now, I've been training using gymnasticbodies-style training for a couple of years, but perhaps not as consistently as I would like. I sometimes learn new things, gain enlightenment on something that I previously thought that I knew, etc. I've been injured, or distracted. As a result, I've "started again" several times.

In 2012, I hope to begin again, and properly fill in the gaps in my training that have previously held me back. This means I'm also going to scale right back to the prerequisite FSPs, and will probably begin slowly and try to ramp up carefully over time.

At the start of this year, I decided to check my times for some pre-FSPs (actually, they might not be the pre-FSPs, and I don't think they're the complete list that I've seen elsewhere on the forum, but these are the ones I felt like testing):

plank: 1:45

reverse plank: 1:40

hollow hold: 1:00

arch hold: 1:00

PB support: 1:35

wall HS: 0:50

german hang: 1:00 (a bit more, but I might as well count it as 1 minute)

Now, I'm not sure how I plan on organising my workouts yet, but here are some things I plan on focusing on in the near future (they might not be short-term goals, but they will drive my focus for the near future):


  • [*:2qskas1a] To be able to do 3x60sec sets of at least the first four holds. Handstand I obviously want to just keep adding more time, though I'll have to work out how often to try adding time. German hang I can do 3x30 sec holds without any issues. Not sure if I should be aiming for 3x60sec on that one, too?
    [*:2qskas1a] To fix my shoulder issues. My right shoulder--front, back, and up into the neck--is often particularly stiff, and has significantly reduced range of motion. I plan to see a physio and see if they can help, but in the meantime I also intend to be more consistent with my shoulder mobility work.
    [*:2qskas1a] To improve my pike and straddle flexibility. I think my lack of flexibility here significantly inhibits my progress in several other things.

I guess I'll edit this first post to clarify my goals as they change or become more solid.

Adam Bodestyne

First week of the year, I only did two workouts. For now I'm only doing these (pre-)FSPs; I will get back to the WODs at some point. My workouts are going to be a bit random until I work out precisely how I want to plan them. But for now I figure doing something is better than just doing nothing just because I haven't worked out a proper routine yet.

2012-01-04 (Wednesday):

Limbered up, joint rotations, etc.

Wrist routine

Shoulder prehab (some stretches and some band work)

Then, as two giant sets:

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec

then decided I should do some handstand

wall HS: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec.

2012-01-13 (Friday):

This time I decided three sets might be more beneficial. I also decided to add german hangs.

Warmed up with a few minutes of skipping, then did various limbering up

Wrist routine

Shoulder prehab (stretches + band work)

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 20 sec (just couldn't do it)

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

wall HS: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec.

When I got home I also threw in 3 assisted OAC on each arm (I had my hands slightly wider than my usual grip, with the assisting hand gripping with two fingers, and obviously tried to shift all the effort onto the intended working arm).

And just to bring me up-to-date: 2012-01-09 Monday

Warmup:

Skipping, limbering, wrist routine, shoulders.

As giant sets:

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec -- made it, this time, although i could really feel it. :P

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

PB support: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

german hangs: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

---

Wall HS: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

---

6 towel pullups since.. why not? Besides, I think my grip strength could do with some work.

After posting this, I've decided I really need to think better on a sensible way to format future posts..

Adam Bodestyne

2012-01-10 (Tuesday)

Warmup

Skipping for a few minutes, limbering, wrist routine, shoulder routine and shoulder band work.

(pre)FSP

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

pb support: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

--

wall handstands: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

FBE

5x5 pushups

5x5 floor rows

Finished with

More shoulder stretching, particularly on my troublesome right shoulder.

Notes

This time I thought it might be worthwhile adding in some sort of FBEs, so I thought I'd drop all the way back, and just try doing push-ups and floor rows, just to make sure I can do them to an adequate level.

The pushups and rows felt easy, but I made sure to take the opportunity to really try to protract my shoulders on the pushups and retract them for the rows. Next week I'll probably try bulgarian rows or tuck-FL rows, and XR pushups.

Adam Bodestyne

Wednesday was a rest day, and then Thursday had a headache most of the day due to neck tension, made worse by playing 6-a-side soccer in the evening and possibly experiencing minor dehydration. It was good times. (c:

Friday morning I went to see a physio about my incredibly tight shoulders. She agreed that it was likely caused by my posture at work (where my posture isn't actually a problem--apparently I have great posture--I just suck at maintaining it throughout the day). In any case, she spent this session working primarily on just trying to relax the tightness in my upper right traps (I think), and in the neck. It was incredibly painful, but afterwards the muscles seemed to have relaxed at least a little. I didn't get any headaches that day, at least.

2012-01-13 (Friyay)

Warmup

Skipping for a few minutes, limbering, wrist routine, shoulder routine and shoulder band work.

(pre)FSP

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

pb support: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

--

wall handstands: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

Misc

6 x towel pullups.

Didn't have time to do anything else, but I really wanted to make sure I did at least these.

Finished with

Some shoulder stretching.

2012-01-14 (Saturday)

Warmup

limbering, wrist routine, shoulder routine and shoulder band work.

(pre)FSP

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

pb support: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

--

wall handstands: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

Finished with

Some shoulder stretching.

Notes

This time I tried to be more strict with my breaks between the static holds. I tried to keep the downtime between holds under 15 seconds, but allowed a few minutes break after doing a whole round.

Adam Bodestyne

Saw the physio again Monday morning. Had more painful prodding at my neck and my shoulder (upper trapezius?) Consistent stretching throughout the way seems to be helping it, but it's still waaay tighter than the other side.

Also had the pecs massaged a bit, since they're pretty tight, too. Will continue doing the shoulder stretches to try to get at those.

2012-01-16 (Monday)

Warmup

Skipping, limbering, half-press HeS, wrist routine, shoulder routine; forgot the band work.

(pre)FSP

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

pb support: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

--

wall handstands: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

Finished with

Some shoulder stretching.

2012-01-17 (Tuesday)

Warmup

Skipping, limbering, half-press HeS, wrist routine, shoulder routine and shoulder band work.

(pre)FSP

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

pb support: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

--

wall handstands: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

FBE

5x5 pushups, trying to maintain good form.

5x5 feet-elevated rows

Finished with

Some shoulder stretching.

Notes

That last hollow hold is still pretty painful towards the end. I recall that I always considered the arch hold to be far more unpleasant than the hollow, which led to me often just skipping it (coz I'm a wimp), but nowadays I'm finding the arch hold.. isn't necessarily easy, but I certainly feel stronger doing it than the hollow. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, or maybe the plank work before the hollow is making the hollow position more difficult. That probably makes sense.

Also, I think I'd been planning to try different pushup and row variations this week, but I lacked inspiration. And, I figure going slower is better than the other.. I'll increase things eventually.

Adam Bodestyne

2012-01-19 (Thursday)

Warmup

Skipping, limbering, half-press HeS, wrist routine, shoulder routine, band work for shoulder.

(pre)FSP

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

pb support: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

--

wall handstands: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

Finished with

Some shoulder stretching.

Notes

Played 6-a-side soccer a few hours later. Felt mostly good, but twisted my knee. Fail.

2012-01-20 (Friday)

Warmup

a few minutes on the rowing machine, limbering, half-press HeS, wrist routine, shoulder routine and shoulder band work.

(pre)FSP

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

pb support: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

--

wall handstands: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

FBE

5x3 dips

5x3 chins/pullups (actually, each set was: chin-up grip, regular grip pullups, narrow-grip, wide-grip, parallel grip)

Finished with

Some shoulder stretching, also tried to stretch the biceps a bit.

Gavin Strelitz

Nice work on getting your workout log happening.

I would suggest getting a tennis ball/ la crosse ball etc.. and doing some trigger point work. It works particularly well for the pec minor.

Adam Bodestyne
Gavin S said:
Nice work on getting your workout log happening.

I would suggest getting a tennis ball/ la crosse ball etc.. and doing some trigger point work. It works particularly well for the pec minor.

Good idea. I've used the tennis ball before, but lately it seemed to have completely slipped my mind, when it really would be perfect for getting at some of the points I really need to.

Past couple of days I've been trying to make use of a tennis ball and foam roller after each workout, and sometimes just at random times, to work on various places around my shoulder that feel like they're really restricing motion.

We'll see how it pans out after a while. (c:

Adam Bodestyne

2012-01-23 (Monday)

Warmup

Skipping, limbering, half-press HeS, wrist routine, shoulder routine, band work for shoulder.

(pre)FSP

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

pb support: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

--

wall handstands: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

Finished with

Some shoulder stretching.

2012-01-24 (Tuesday)

Warmup

limbering, wrist routine, shoulder routine and a bit more shoulder band work than usual.

(pre)FSP

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

pb support: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

--

wall handstands: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

FBE

5x5 pushups

5x5 feet-elevated rows

Finished with

Spent some time with a tennis ball in various places on my shoulder, some foam roller work, and shoulder stretching

Notes

Monday and Tuesday were probably the coolest days we'll be having this week, with maximum temperatures of 35degC (95degF) and 39degC (100degF) respectively. However, the nights have been at least dropping to about 20... the next few nights are looking pretty bad, though, so we'll see how my sleep is affected.

Adam Bodestyne

2012-01-27 (Friday)

Warmup

Skipping, rowing machine, limbering, half-press HeS, wrist routine, shoulder routine, band work for shoulder.

(pre)FSP

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

pb support: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

--

wall handstands: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

FBE

5x3 dips

5x3 pullups (different grip each set: chin up, pull up, narrow, parallel, wide)

Finished with

Some foam roller work and shoulder stretching

2012-01-28 (Saturday)

Warmup

limbering, truncated wrist and shoulder routines. some should work with a theraband.

(pre)FSP

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

pb support: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

--

wall handstands: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

Finished with

application of tennis ball and foam roller to various places of chest, back and sides. some shoulder stretching.

Adam Bodestyne

2012-01-30 (Monday)

Warmup

Skipping, limbering, half-press HeS, wrist routine, shoulder routine, band work for shoulder.

(pre)FSP

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

pb support: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

--

wall handstands: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

FBE

5x5 pushups

5x5 rows

Finished with

Some foam roller work and shoulder stretching

Notes

Felt okay, but man, was incredibly tired soon after I'd gotten home and eaten dinner. While talking to a friend online, I remember between messages deciding to just lie down a little and--bam, out like a light.

2012-01-31 (Tuesday)

Warmup

skipping, limbering, wrist routine, shoulder routine, band work for shoulder.

(pre)FSP

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

pb support: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

--

wall handstands: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

Misc

3x3 assisted OAC (Two on left arm, one on right. Arms about the width I'd do for normal pullups, except hanging mostly from the working arm, and just using a two-finger grip on the assisting hand)

Finished with

Some shoulder stretching.

Notes

Well, the hollow and arch are still the most difficult things in the static holds, it's kinda hard to tell if I'm getting any better with them. The PB Supports are becoming far more stable. Previously, my arms would start involuntarily quivering before I finished the 45 sec sets, but now they're mostly still until very near the end of each set.

The OAC work was unplanned; I had not really intended to do any extra work after my FSPs, but I just wanted to see how it felt.

The reason I did the extra ones on the left arm is because my right side seems to be slightly more developed than my left. I generally try to exercise both sides equally, but I also realise that my right arm is the one I'll tend to lean on and tap keys with when I'm feeling lazy, it's my mouse hand, it's the hand that'll stay on the steering wheel when being lazy, etc. Trying to be more conscious about this, now.

Adam Bodestyne

2012-02-02 (Thursday)

Warmup

Skipping, limbering, half-press HeS, wrist routine, shoulder routine, band work for shoulder.

(pre)FSP

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

pb support: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

--

wall handstands: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

And no time for anything else. Had to rush off for dinner.

2012-02-06 (Monday)

Warmup

skipping, limbering, wrist routine, shoulder routine, band work for shoulder.

(pre)FSP

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

pb support: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

--

wall handstands: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

FBE

5x5 pushups

5x5 feet-elevated rows.

Finished with

Some shoulder stretching.

2012-02-07 (Tuesday)

Warmup

skipping, limbering, wrist routine, shoulder routine, band work for shoulder.

(pre)FSP

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

pb support: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

--

wall handstands: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

Finished with

Some foam rolling for shoulders, and a bit of stretching.

2012-02-09 (Thursday)

Copy-paste Tuesday, except with more foam rolling.

2012-02-10 (Friday)

Warmup

skipping, limbering, half-press HeS, wrist routine, shoulder routine, band work for shoulder, LYTPs

(pre)FSP

plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

hollow: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

reverse plank: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

arch: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

pb support: 45 sec, 45 sec, 45 sec

german hang: 30 sec, 30 sec, 30 sec

--

wall handstands: 20 sec, 20 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec

FBE

5x5 dips

5x5 pullups, different grips each set. (pullup, chinup, parallel, wide pullup, narrow pullup)

Finished with

Foam rolling for upper body, a bit more time spent than usual. Also spent time on my triceps and biceps since I felt like they needed it. This was followed up several hours later at night when I got home with a bit more foam roller work and tennis ball trigger point work.

Notes

The extra time with the foam roller and doing trigger point work really felt good. I think being fairly consistent with this, along with other mobility/strengthening, will get my shoulders feeling great again. My right shoulder's tightness already feels slightly better after spending time working on my.. everything.