This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Maddened's Log

Started by Maddened, January 7, 2012 · 3 Replies · 585 Views

Maddened

Contrary to my nick, the workouts are unlikely to be mad. Some stats:

Age: 29

Height: 164 cm

Weight: 79 kg

Fitness level: Amoeba level (still working towards the first pull-up in my entire life)

Job: Educator

As above, I'm unfit, unhealthy, untoned, heavy, and inexperienced. I have done very little physical activities in the past because of a congenital heart condition (VSD). Cardio is generally out for me, and so are most sports. Gymnastics seemed like the best option, though even this is limited since I can't do most of the ring moves in my house at the moment. I am able to do ring push-ups and rows, though that's about it (can't even progress to he Bulgarian versions at the moment because of lack of lateral space).

I am going to attempt one workout every two days at least, partly because of my work and home responsibilities and also because I just plain ache too much the day after. If anyone has any advice and tips or suggestions, please do post them here or PM me. I would love, love, love to hear from the experienced ones.

The workout logs proper will start on Monday where I'll attempt the WOD with the appropriate subs (if I can). Tomorrow (Sunday), I'll just do a fitness test to use as benchmarks. Thanks for reading!

MH87

Hey.

With a proper diet, and strength work outs 3 times a week you'll see changes at a really faste rate, especially in the beginning so that hard work will pay off :) Whats your diet like now? There's tons of info on the forum here about nutrition so don't forget to check that out.

good luck! :)

Maddened
MH87 said:
Hey.

With a proper diet, and strength work outs 3 times a week you'll see changes at a really faste rate, especially in the beginning so that hard work will pay off :) Whats your diet like now? There's tons of info on the forum here about nutrition so don't forget to check that out.

good luck! :)

Thanks MH87! It's really nice to have some encouragement and advice. :D

For food, I'm generally following what is commonly known as the Paleo diet. My rules are just to eat whole foods, not too much carbs, processed foods/sugars etc, and more fruits. I've read Slizzardman's posts about eating really light every other day and have tried Intermittent Fasting for a couple of weeks but found that it doesn't work too well for me (as a teacher I have to get up at 6am, and put in 12 hours each day). Essentially, I'm eating mostly chicken, some fish when I can find it, and am eating as much vegetables as I can. Boiled, steamed, or stir-fired in light oil. On the plus side I love soups, so I might just make a large batch over the weekend and have soup when I get hungry.

Supplements-wise I will take a multi-vit and maybe some fish oil. I have a tub of protein powder (100% whey) which I plan to take right after workouts.

Personally, reading about nutrition just gets my head in a spin, so I try to keep things simple and just eat sensibly. I'm not aiming for bodybuilding competitions, or to lift 4 times my bodyweight, so I'm skipping all the other supplements. Since my main goals are to lose weight, get fit and strong, and ultimately become healthy (and maybe, eventually pull off an iron cross of a maltese, heh), I don't think I'll worry too much over supplements. I'd rather focus more on the quality and intensity of my workouts.

Thanks again, and please pass along any advice, suggestions, or words of wisdom. Much appreciated!

MH87

No prob :) and it sounds like you got it covered pretty much! :)