After atleast 9 months of work, I've finally gotton my first muscle up 2 days ago. Below is a video of my third muscle up.
lrgYLhVOY3s
I'm shocked because for so long it just seemed like an impossibility. The first progession in the book (negative MU) was way beyond my reach for so long. What finally did it for me was I found a video here somewhere of a dude doing the muscle up transition with assist from a soccer ball on the floor, balancing on it with straight legs. That finally enabled me to get the correct amount of assistance so that I could slowly do transitions and negatives, and very very gradually give myself less assistance. I essetially GTG's that about every day, a few times a day, doing 1-3 reps' for a total of 2-3 months, gradually with less resistance. However the actual muscle up seemed totally out of reach. I was on the road for 2 weeks over the holdiay and eneded up taking pretty much a complete break from all my workouts. Then when I came home I jumped on the rings and BAM I did a muscle up!
Any comments on the form and/or what I should do to improve it would be greatly appreciated. As far as I can tell I'm not really kipping at all, but using a lot of upward momenteum to get over alot of the transition.
But just wanted to post this because I felt for SO long that it was impossible, and wanted people to know that it's not. It really seems to be able being able to find the exact specific technique that will allow you get just enough of the right assistance... it's really about finding the best way to scale things as far down as you need to. I think, anyway.