Post WO Shake & Fat

Started by Bobby B, January 4, 2012 · 3 Replies · 2,970 Views

Bobby B

I'm trying to add more fat in my diet and have figured a nice quick way to do it is to drink coconut milk. My question is whether adding coconut milk to my first PostWO shake is a bad idea. I'm not fat adapted nor wish to be.

My current PostWO shake is 20g whey concentrate + 25g dextrose

Would adding 80ml of coconut milk to this (approx 13g fat) negatively impact protein utilization?

Would it be smarter to avoid adding fat to my PostWO shake and just drink it during another time of the day/in one of the later meals after my workout?

Cheers

Blairbob

Well RobbWolf is an avid proponent of coconut milk+whey protein PWO.

http://robbwolf.com/2009/07/01/post-workout-nutrition-high-or-low-carb/

I came across varying numbers on the nutrition breakdown of coconut milk. 2 were very similar describing a high amount of fat and calories and 13g of carbs + 5.5g of protein. Another showed a very different breakdown of little protein and carbs and some fat. I'm not sure what's up with this.

Protein needs fat to digest properly as does just about everything else.

Whey concentrate should have a few grams of fat in itself, I think maybe 2-4g per general serving (20-30 grams).

John Sapinoso

Alternatively you could add it to your pre workout shake. I like blending warm coconut milk with cacao powder and espresso / coffee sometimes.

Bobby B

Thanks for the info guys :)