BL and PL

Started by John Dalton, January 3, 2012 · 13 Replies · 5,367 Views

John Dalton

Got a question.......is it possible to attain a straddle planche without training the back lever? I know that BL training will help with PL training but is it possible?

Thank You :!:

charlieborro

I think so :mrgreen: BL would help a lot In my opinion, but it's not necessary (although PL would not benefit by a good static position...)

charlie

John Dalton

thanks

but what does this mean? "(although PL would not benefit by a good static position...)"

John Dalton

Thought I'd break into this forum... :mrgreen:

I read in Beastskills that the weighted pull-up is a good assistance exercise to the front lever but Coach Sommer mentioned it isnt.

So can anyone give me some assistance exercises, including for the core, for the front lever.

Thank You

Blairbob

If your pull strength is weak, weighted pull variants can help that aspect of the front lever. If your core is weak, you need to work on the body lever portion.

John Dalton

Thanks a lot.

My Pulling strength is whats holding me back, so weighted pull-ups and inverted rows are the ones I choose.

Blairbob

Inverted rows...sure. Work on tuck lever pullups or adv tuck/straddle.

John Dalton

Thanks for the help blairblob....

Assuming core strength is sufficient, how much weight should i be able to handle in the weighted pull-up for the full front lever.

I know pull-ups are not directly related to front levers but i'm looking for a good guess.

Blairbob

That's anyone guess, really. I'm sure a lot of depends on the body size of the individual. Height, weight, limb length.

A guesstimate some people have thrown around is 75% of BW added to your pullup.

Coach Sommer
Got a question.......is it possible to attain a straddle planche without training the back lever? I know that BL training will help with PL training but is it possible?

For a planche on the floor; yes, for a planche on the rings; doubtful.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Rafael David
Coach Sommer said:
Got a question.......is it possible to attain a straddle planche without training the back lever? I know that BL training will help with PL training but is it possible?

For a planche on the floor; yes, for a planche on the rings; doubtful.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

So if I can do straddle PL on floor I can't do it on rings? How I make this transition from the floor to rings? I should start a new SSC for planche, but now on rings? :?

Coach Sommer

Mikael,

Unfortunately the ability to perform a planche on the floor will have little to no bearing on being able to perform a planche on the rings. Straight arm ring strength elements are a completely separate animal from all other gymnastics strength and require their own series of progressions in addition to a solid base of FBE (at least having progressed up to Bowers and legless rope climbs).

I have previously shared a part of that progression here.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Rafael David

Coach, thank you! I forgot this post... So from one progression to other, how much time we should hit to be able to safely jump to a harder variation?

Coach Sommer
Mikael said:
... So from one progression to other, how much time we should hit to be able to safely jump to a harder variation? ...

Complete mastery is necessary to avoid over-use injuries and tendonitis.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer