Azarian maltese, so close!

Started by DennisGoossens, January 2, 2012 · 20 Replies · 7,017 Views

DennisGoossens

I feel so close to azarian maltese, but its so hard to hold.

In this video you can see how for I am with progressing :

Please hints and tricks!

Wangtang, gregor, can you help me?

Other's vision are welcome too ofcourse!!!

acegerter

when you initiate the roll, it may not look or seem like it but you are going too far into the back lever position... really try to lock your humerus to your sides with your lats on the beginning of the roll. a couple years ago i was able to roll back into the maltese (but not quite hold it long enough) and thats what it felt like to me (i modeled mine off of philip onorato). This guy does a good job of locking in his lats and not letting himself fall into a back lever like shoulder position:

your strong, just got to work on your technique :-)

DennisGoossens

Thanks, i'll try it tomorow, so start earlier and try to lock on the lat's?

DennisGoossens

wow 1 reaction, looks like the forum is dead?

Joshua Naterman

Wow, strong! I think they are right, you need to lock the hollow and arm position earlier. Nice nakayama! Fast but awesome!

Joshua Chan

Hello,

In my opinion I think you're starting the whole movement with an open chest, this in consequence makes it really hard to lock the maltese. If you pause the video at 4sec, you can clearly see your chest is lower than your entire arm, they should be leveled.

Let me finish with congratulations, you are very very strong.

DennisGoossens
slizzardman said:
Wow, strong! I think they are right, you need to lock the hollow and arm position earlier.
Joshua Chan said:
Hello,

In my opinion I think you're starting the whole movement with an open chest, this in consequence makes it really hard to lock the maltese. If you pause the video at 4sec, you can clearly see your chest is lower than your entire arm, they should be leveled.

I think your both right with that, but how can I train on that, just do it more with my coach or any special excersices or just try it over and over again?

Joshua Naterman

This is Coach's area of expertise.

Having said that, I think you need to lock the hollow at inverted hang and concentrate on that. It looks like you are so focused on hitting the backward roll part that you are straightening your arms too late. I think that is what is messing you up, because your hollow is initially locked and you don't lose it until you straighten the arms. The arms probably need to be straight by the time you have moved halfway from inverted hang to the maltese position but should really be straight by the time you pass through inverted hang.

That is my extremely amateur and possibly 100% wrong assessment, but after reviewing videos of other Azarian elements this seems to be the common theme. Your arms are locking too late and that is messing up your hollow and causing the drop. I think that if you watch your video with this in mind you will see what I mean.

DennisGoossens
slizzardman said:
This is Coach's area of expertise.

Having said that, I think you need to lock the hollow at inverted hang and concentrate on that. It looks like you are so focused on hitting the backward roll part that you are straightening your arms too late. I think that is what is messing you up, because your hollow is initially locked and you don't lose it until you straighten the arms. The arms probably need to be straight by the time you have moved halfway from inverted hang to the maltese position but should really be straight by the time you pass through inverted hang.

That is my extremely amateur and possibly 100% wrong assessment, but after reviewing videos of other Azarian elements this seems to be the common theme. Your arms are locking too late and that is messing up your hollow and causing the drop. I think that if you watch your video with this in mind you will see what I mean.

NICE! thank you for noticing that, i'll try tomorow!

WitnessTheFitness

Incredible strength! I've been playing around with maltese lately, and thought I would be able to hold it for a few seconds if I had my legs supported by a chair. I quickly learned that I had support all the way up to my chest just to hold the position :P Gave me a new found respect for anyone that can do a full maltese.

DennisGoossens

Haha thanks man :D

Joshua Naterman

Any progress? Did our suggestions help at all?

DennisGoossens

Well, at the moment I had to prepare for competition so I only did my full routines without trying any new skills, maybe this week I'll try it and put it online so you can (hopefully) see my progress.

Joshua Naterman

Ah! Makes sense. Well, obviously contest prep is the important thing. Still, looking forward to hearing any news!

Gregor
DennisGoossens said:
I feel so close to azarian maltese, but its so hard to hold.

In this video you can see how for I am with progressing :

Please hints and tricks!

Wangtang, gregor, can you help me?

Other's vision are welcome too ofcourse!!!

Very good!

1. Try where you can hang so you can prepair for tranzition. You'll get later in position and will have more time to press and elbows will be straight. Even if it will be worse you must try few times.

2. Because of the reasons of above you must kip with your upper torso to get in position. You must press earlier so look at point number 1.

3. will get when you correct those things above. To much focus on all things will make you worse. Correct step by step. (basicly is just about hollw position wich did not occour due to lack of strength and you arched).

Gregor
slizzardman said:
This is Coach's area of expertise.

Having said that, I think you need to lock the hollow at inverted hang and concentrate on that. It looks like you are so focused on hitting the backward roll part that you are straightening your arms too late. I think that is what is messing you up, because your hollow is initially locked and you don't lose it until you straighten the arms. The arms probably need to be straight by the time you have moved halfway from inverted hang to the maltese position but should really be straight by the time you pass through inverted hang.

Most often the REAL reason is at the begining of the movement (mostly not even recognized as a mistake if you don't have expertives- don't get me wrong :mrgreen: ). So first mistakes is guilty for second, second for third and so on and also from first medium to second big mistake and to even bigger.

Do my words make any sentence?

Joshua Naterman

Sort of, what do you think his first mistake is?

Gregor

That he didn't strat fron a hang and he was to quick to inverted hang and above that, he didn't manage to push down earlier and also to fully extend arms.

DennisGoossens

I did a good one last week, i'll post a video soon!

Joshua Naterman
DennisGoossens said:
I did a good one last week, i'll post a video soon!

Awesome! Congrats, can't wait to see!

Yaad Mohammad

Hey Dennis, aren't you a friend of Yuri van Gelder?