New guy!

Started by Martin Brown, December 30, 2011 · 4 Replies · 2,064 Views

Martin Brown

Hi everyone,

I am new here. I purchased BtGB a long time ago but have only recently got around to reading it properly. I found the site and philosophy after reading Coach Sommers article on the dragondoor site. I have decided that the new year is going to be a big shake up in my training. I have up until now used weights and kettlebells for my training but want to try out the training from the book for a minimum of 6 months which will give me enough time to assess whether I like it as a training protocol for me.

I have no doubts as to its strength benefits which is what I am interested in but it seems to have the added benefits of being able to perform some pretty cool party tricks!

Mucking around I have found I can hold a tuck planche for 25 seconds, a tuck back lever for 30 seconds and can do 25 pullups (Unweighted). I think my good base of strength from weights and KBs will (Hopefully) put me in a good starting position.

Saying that - I am going to start with absolute basics and focus on the prerequisites I have found on the site for a while and go from there.

Im assuming that when I go for a Killroy type approach I can still chuck in some cardio twice a week in the form of KB swings and snatches?

Thanks all!

Martin

Blairbob

Yep, start out with the Killroy program and throw in some conditioning.

Joshua Naterman

Be careful to not move quickly with straight arm work. Just a tip from a guy who was similarly strong at first and got himself injured playing around with planche too much too soon!

Martin Brown

Thanks for the replies. Thanks for the advice. I will be careful with the straight arm stuff. I will ease into it slowly - I will likely do only one of the static holds per workout rotation through them and adding to it over several months as my joints get stronger. I am very wary of too much too soon - Done that more times than I care to remember in the past.

I purchased that book I have seen you recommend - "pain free" pete Egoscue and am going to work heavily on my mobility and flexibility combining relax into stretch, Z health and stuff from the book.

Martin

Joshua Naterman

Nice! Sounds like a smart approach that should be very successful!