Grip Strength for Rings

Started by Philip Chubb, December 30, 2011 · 7 Replies · 3,642 Views

Philip Chubb

Has anyone tried adding tape or towels to their rings? I am experimenting with adding them to all my ring work and it's setting me back a progression but I think the gains will be quite worth it.

Philip Chubb

I mean for making it harder to grip. Like a fat bar. I'm not having trouble with the grip so much as trying to make it more difficult.

Joshua Naterman

Fat rings are an interesting concept, I know they are made but I don't know how practical that will be as it will limit false grip pulls... Still, experimenting is fun! I will be interested in your findings :)

Philip Chubb

I don't use a false grip much. Hopefully, I won't have to again. The next two weeks, I will be using fat rings in the form of a towel on both to widen my grip, after that, I'll test and see the result! They'll be written here if I remember. I'm known for experimenting on myself and forgetting the experiment...

Joshua Naterman

Hahaha! That's a TERRIBLE thing to be known for! :lol: Happy experimenting!

Philip Chubb

If you have time, I have a quick question Slizzardman. I am also considering doing pushing work, such as my planche pushups, on my fingertips. If grip work is like bent arm training, would fingertips with straight fingers be like straight arm training? Which would further strengthen my grip and hopefully give me a stronger base on my hand balancing?

Joshua Naterman

Fingertips is definitely more like straight arm training, as the tension is focused on the capsular ligaments and the tendon attachments of the muscles. You are literally leveraging against those structures. Of course the muscles are working as well, but compared to a bent finger position there is much more stress on those connective tissues, partially due to the extreme angle.

You would have to ask someone with more experience than me in handbalancing to get a meaningful answer on that subject, but I am quite sure it won't hurt.

Philip Chubb

Thank you. I wasn't sure if it was the same since the fingers and scapular muscles are the same but this will also be a fun add to the experiment.