This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 111230

Started by Coach Sommer, December 30, 2011 · 7 Replies · 1,538 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Wrist Pushups

2x10 Cast Wall Walks

2x5 Pike Box Press HS

2x10 Straddle Box Press HS

10 minutes of HS Wall Runs

Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes

8 ) Spend 10 minutes performing HS Wall runs. Time spent resting does not count toward the 10 minute total. Strive to perform the 10 minutes of HS Wall Runs in as few sets as possible.

9) Rest as necessary, but strive to keep rest periods to an absolute minimum. Unless you are already extremely well conditioned gymnastically, this should be a very challenging workout.

10) You may increase the intensity of the HS Wall Runs by lifting a straight arm up to the hips during each step rather than merely touching the shoulder.

Kenneth Manning

There are few things as frustrating to me as starting a workout, and for no obvious reason, just not having "it" that day. In the last press HS WOD, I finally completed the 2 sets of CWW for all 10 reps each set in pretty good form and achieved for the first time ever a straddle wall press HS from the floor (actually was able to complete 5 sets of 4 reps), which seemed to come out of nowhere. And then for whatever reason, today I began CWW and found myself laboring just to get 5 reps. I tried moving to piked box press wall HS and couldn't do more than 2 reps with a box height I'd been doing for 2 sets of 5 for the last 2 press HS workouts. Was well rested, felt good, solid warmup.... and... splat. I cut the workout short after the second set of piked box wall press HS, so I'm going to start fresh tomorrow. Just needed to vent a bit, as the consistent progress that normally occurs when following the WODs becomes addicting!

Josh Schmitter
killroy70 said:
There are few things as frustrating to me as starting a workout, and for no obvious reason, just not having "it" that day. In the last press HS WOD, I finally completed the 2 sets of CWW for all 10 reps each set in pretty good form and achieved for the first time ever a straddle wall press HS from the floor (actually was able to complete 5 sets of 4 reps), which seemed to come out of nowhere. And then for whatever reason, today I began CWW and found myself laboring just to get 5 reps. I tried moving to piked box press wall HS and couldn't do more than 2 reps with a box height I'd been doing for 2 sets of 5 for the last 2 press HS workouts. Was well rested, felt good, solid warmup.... and... splat. I cut the workout short after the second set of piked box wall press HS, so I'm going to start fresh tomorrow. Just needed to vent a bit, as the consistent progress that normally occurs when following the WODs becomes addicting!

Ah, the ever elusive "it." Frustration aside, I always welcome a post from killroy himself, venting or anything else. I've learned much from your posts and continue to as I progress.

Kenneth Manning

Thanks tanstaafl, i'm learning all the time myself. I'd love to make it to a seminar someday, but being a dairy farmer makes it tough to get away. Also, I see you too are from pa, I've got a lot of respect for u doing sled sprints in the cold miserable winter weather that we so enjoy! When the weather turns I tend to put a max effort lower body lifting exercise in its place, quad dominant for backwards running, hamstring emphasis for forward running. Now just have to redeem myself after todays poor showing....

Josh Schmitter
killroy70 said:
Thanks tanstaafl, i'm learning all the time myself. I'd love to make it to a seminar someday, but being a dairy farmer makes it tough to get away. Also, I see you too are from pa, I've got a lot of respect for u doing sled sprints in the cold miserable winter weather that we so enjoy! When the weather turns I tend to put a max effort lower body lifting exercise in its place, quad dominant for backwards running, hamstring emphasis for forward running. Now just have to redeem myself after todays poor showing....

I am right with ya on the seminar. My wife is a teacher and I'm home with the kid/part time job in the early evening...not to mention money is tight at the moment. Hopefully by the next seminar we can all make a trip out as the kid will be 2ish and able to do a lot more/handle a trip better. As for the farm, I remember reading that a while back. Do you guys just do milk(regular/raw?), or other things as well? The family's been rocking raw milk/grass fed beef and liver from a local farm in Newtown for a little while now.

Random info: I'm in Morrisville, PA...can literally walk to Trenton,NJ from my house...and my workout was the exact opposite of yours today :)...sorry.

Josh Schmitter

General WU

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req WU

WOD:2min rest FBE, 60s sets)

1x10 Wrist Pushups(knees)

2x 70ish steps/50ish ft. Plank Walks(Back and Forth living room x2 per set, feet slightly above hips)

2x5 Pike Box Press HeS

2x10 Straddle Box Press HeS(5min rest)

10 min HS wall runs(First 4 Regular Wall Runs, All subsequent Box HeSPU runs)

-2 x [30s on/60s off x 10]/5min between sets(little bit more than 5min, had to try and put the kid back to sleep)

-1x10 Wrist Pushups(knees)

Notes:

-Everything felt SUPER good today. FSP Pre-reqs felt good for the 2nd/3rd day in a row...perhaps finally starting to deload a littler. Wrist push ups felt almost as good as regular pushups, HeS Presses felt better than they ever have. All this with having a cold(started last night) my wife/daughter just got through.

-Only thing still about the same was the wall runs...very tough, couldn't add another full one in the beginning.

-So, pretty much the exact opposite of killroy's experience :). Again with the "it." I wish I knew what I did to feel this way...maybe I need to always work out on the brink of a cold...who knows.

James Morse

shin and I completed the 10 min of hs wall runs in 25:30 through 1 min. sets. Crazy finish to the year's training.

Ivan Uzarevic1

FSP Pre-req WU

Did:

1x10 Wrist Pushups(knees)

1x10 CWW (3 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1)

2 x 5 Pike Press to HeS

2 x 10 Straddle Press to HeS

10 min of Box HS (20 x 30 sec.)

Finished with 1x10 Wrist Pushups(knees)

notes: Form of CWW is getting better (I´m able to keep my body hollow during the walk) but numbers are pretty much the same (I feel like I´m about to die after 2 or 3 reps :? )

My HS is special case I guess..Box HS is my destiny wright now for all kind of HS work (only exepction is 5 x 15 HS when doing ring WOD..then I do Wall HS) , and it seems that it´s going to be that way for some time! HS is something I´m most weak at, and also something that improves slowest (although my flexibility seems to be ok..my hands are only few inches from the wall when doing Wall HS)