conditioning work

Started by newguy5000, December 29, 2011 · 6 Replies · 5,886 Views

newguy5000

Hey all. I've been pottering along with my gymnastic static training as time and work permit for a little while now. But i wanted to add in some conditioning work for heart and lungs and work capacity for when i play basketball and just generally for the activities of life.

I started adding in some short conditioning workouts from Ross Enaimites Infinite Intensity program and my conditioning has really improved. It got me wondering what other members do for this kind of thing?

John Sapinoso

Tabatas of all kinds: sprints, front squats, back squats, backtucks, for example. I vary the intensity but usually aim for a weight that allows for 10 reps.

newguy5000

i hate (and love) Tabatas.

The other thing i have been doing lately is taking the suggested programming from BTGB of making a workout consist of a:

Pull

Push

Core

Leg

And turning it into a conditioning circuit. I just started doing these and i like them a lot.

For example today i did.

5 tuck front Pulls on bar

15 XR Push Ups

30 Hollow Rocks

40 Squat Jumps

5 rounds.

It was pretty fun so i think i might do this more often. My conditioning blows though, i almost threw up doing that.

Michael Miskelly

I usually do HIIT style workouts for conditioning, some last longer than others but an example is the magic 50 or work capacity 101 from rosstraining. They are always a killer with heavy weights.

I did an old Workout of the Week yesterday from Rosstraining originally posted by Shootfighter, try it out :lol: . Modified it for myself but it was a tough 36minutes!

ADVENT HELL

25 burpees

24 push ups

23 burpees

22 push ups

21 burpees

20 push ups

19 burpees

18 push ups

17 burpees

16 push ups

15 burpees

14 pull ups

13 DB clean and press

12 pull ups

11 DB clean and press

10 pull ups

9 DB clean and press

8 pull ups

7 DB clean and press

6 pull ups

5 DB clean and press

4 pull ups

3 DB clean and press

2 minutes of chinnies

1 rollouts

Blairbob

I used to do some circuit conditioning consisting of FBE's and BW lower body movements this year besides my SSC FSP work. I also tended to be running out of time by then at the end of training time so it works fairly well but I never was pushing myself really hard, more of just something to be active and finish off with.

newguy5000
mic_skelly said:
I usually do HIIT style workouts for conditioning, some last longer than others but an example is the magic 50 or work capacity 101 from rosstraining. They are always a killer with heavy weights.

I did an old Workout of the Week yesterday from Rosstraining originally posted by Shootfighter, try it out :lol: . Modified it for myself but it was a tough 36minutes!

ADVENT HELL

25 burpees

24 push ups

23 burpees

22 push ups

21 burpees

20 push ups

19 burpees

18 push ups

17 burpees

16 push ups

15 burpees

14 pull ups

13 DB clean and press

12 pull ups

11 DB clean and press

10 pull ups

9 DB clean and press

8 pull ups

7 DB clean and press

6 pull ups

5 DB clean and press

4 pull ups

3 DB clean and press

2 minutes of chinnies

1 rollouts

Dude that sounds crazy!

Michael Miskelly
Dude that sounds crazy!

Haha! I liked the look of it so thought I would give it a go. I prefer to train all around rather than being strong with no conditioning or vice-versa. I think I have built decent strength and conditioning together.