Handstand Progress 12/27/2011

Started by Ian Legrow, December 28, 2011 · 14 Replies · 2,498 Views

Ian Legrow

I know that i said it would be a couple of months before i posted another video. But Yuval Ayalon said he wanted me to send him a video, so i figured since i put one together i would show all y'all becasue y'all have helped me so much

5I5JM03jSXg

Bruno Cochofel
IJL said:
I know that i said it would be a couple of months before i posted another video. But Yuval Ayalon said he wanted me to send him a video, so i figured since i put one together i would show all y'all becasue y'all have helped me so much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I5JM03jSXg

Really nice stuff.. I wish I could by in that place right now ;-) my handstand is still no good, but I keep practicing...

Ian Legrow

In time my friend, in time. As long as you tell yourself its possible, nothing is impossible

Philip Chubb

Very nice, Ian! Looks like you have you COG placed well judging by how easy it is to move your legs. I would work on opening your shoulder angle more. From the side, it is still a bit closed. Keep working on moving closer in stomach to wall handstands and hitting that position. Very nice work for three months!

Ian Legrow

Thank you phillip. I actually got mad yesterday watching the video becasue My shoulder are usually more open (1-2 inches from wall in a wall HS) but i tried a wider hand position from the side view, and although it made it easier, it compromised my shoulders. I was disappointed, but needed rest and couln't keep my wife outside in the 40 degree weather.

Thank you though and i will Continue to train!

-Ian

Philip Chubb

I saw that and was a bit confused. Because I have seen much more open shoulders from you but then I did notice the wider hand position. Just keep in mind that hands that are too wide will make it more difficult to go to one arm work. You won't be able to lean your weight over. I am not saying that your hands were too wide but I wouldn't go any wider. Handbalancer uses 33 cm. I try to stick with that so I can shift weight around. Still, for three months that is great progress. I would be impressed even if you said 6 or more.

Ian Legrow

Thank you my friend, your encouragement and progress has motivated me to continue. Thank you for your kind words. :)

-Ian

Bruno Cochofel
PHILIP said:
I saw that and was a bit confused. Because I have seen much more open shoulders from you but then I did notice the wider hand position. Just keep in mind that hands that are too wide will make it more difficult to go to one arm work. You won't be able to lean your weight over. I am not saying that your hands were too wide but I wouldn't go any wider. Handbalancer uses 33 cm. I try to stick with that so I can shift weight around. Still, for three months that is great progress. I would be impressed even if you said 6 or more.

Sorry for use this post to ask this but I get a bit confused with both the wide of the arms and the position of the hands.. Hand balancers and gymnasts tend to have differences in both this things. I've noticed I have more difficulty balance with my hands in a 45 degrees angle instead of straight forward, is like I can't use my fingers to balance when in a angle..

Cole Dano

Ian that is some great progress!

Edward Smith

Well done Ian, congratulations on our progress.

If you continue to progress even at a fraction of this speed you'll be doing great things in no time. Also, pretty cool that you've got Yuval's attention!

Keep up the hard work.

Ed

Ian Legrow

Thank you everyone for all of your wonderful encouragement! it really means a lot to me!

Black cat: It all depends on how you want to do things. Me: i am striving to be a Hand Balancer, so i will do whatever Hand balancer's tell me to do. When your hands are too wide (even a little too wide, like in my video) it makes progression to the one handed handstand much more difficult. I unfortunately cannot tell you exactly how to do a gymnastic handstand, becasue although they are similar in a lot of ways, there may be some minor differences I am afraid of missing. As for Hand position, I do not believe wit matters if your fingers are at 45 degrees or pointing directly in front of you.

Hope this helps

-Ian

Bruno Cochofel
IJL said:
Thank you everyone for all of your wonderful encouragement! it really means a lot to me!

Black cat: It all depends on how you want to do things. Me: i am striving to be a Hand Balancer, so i will do whatever Hand balancer's tell me to do. When your hands are too wide (even a little too wide, like in my video) it makes progression to the one handed handstand much more difficult. I unfortunately cannot tell you exactly how to do a gymnastic handstand, becasue although they are similar in a lot of ways, there may be some minor differences I am afraid of missing. As for Hand position, I do not believe wit matters if your fingers are at 45 degrees or pointing directly in front of you.

Hope this helps

-Ian

Thanks for the tip Ian.. Keep up with your videos, I've been inspired by then :-)

Philip Chubb

Gymnastic handstands are transitional positions. You get there and stay there for at most 3-5 seconds. And I think that is on rings...

Anyways, since it's transitional, you will always see good form including fully extended shoulders.

A handbalancers handstand can have that, but not always. A good example I read was if you had to stand on your feet for ten minutes straight, would you want to stand all the way up on your toes with calves fully flexed or somewhere in the middle?

The distance between your hands is going to affect how easily you shift your weight over. Stand on two feet and lean all your weight to one foot, then the other. Now do it again, but with your feet wider. Eventually, your feet will be too wide and you will have to basically jump and catch yourself on the other foot. Same thing on your hands.

Bruno Cochofel
PHILIP said:
Gymnastic handstands are transitional positions. You get there and stay there for at most 3-5 seconds. And I think that is on rings...

Anyways, since it's transitional, you will always see good form including fully extended shoulders.

A handbalancers handstand can have that, but not always. A good example I read was if you had to stand on your feet for ten minutes straight, would you want to stand all the way up on your toes with calves fully flexed or somewhere in the middle?

The distance between your hands is going to affect how easily you shift your weight over. Stand on two feet and lean all your weight to one foot, then the other. Now do it again, but with your feet wider. Eventually, your feet will be too wide and you will have to basically jump and catch yourself on the other foot. Same thing on your hands.

That's really good explanation, thanks Philip

Bruno Cochofel

I have one doubt. I can see the advantage of being with your hands close because of the shift from one hand to another, but doesn't this makes impossible to do the presses? Like L-sit to handstand press, or handstand to planche? And the hand angle also, I mean it's easier to do the planche with 45 degrees hand placement then with fingers point forward, right?