Hi, I have some questions about the concept of time under tension in handstand work. Coach Sommer mention the that sets of 0-20 sec. are used for pure strenght...20-40 sec. for strenght/hypertrophy...40+ sec. for pure endurance. However, I just don't understand how to evaluate those time ranges because Coach hasn't mention which factor forces you to stop whithin those time ranges. In my opininon, I believe it should be your overall muscle fatigue that should force you to quit and not your balance. Is it the case? I mean, someone may not be able to hold a free handstand for more then 10 seconds but it doesn't means that this guy is working pure strenght, right? ...under 10sec., there a good chance some people wouldn't have even break a swet. In this case, the gains in strenght won't be that significants and it's more his pure ability to maintain a handstand that will benefit the most..am I right?
Also, since a lot of people on this forum don't like the idea of going to failure, I'm wondering when you should stop your handstand? About 70-80% muscular effort or more 80-90%? Personally, I feel that 80-90% is great!...and not that much of a failure. In my case, this 80-90% effort mostly occurs at 50 seconds to 1min. in a free handstand. This is when my overall body condition (muscles...) forces me to stop the handstand. Am I doing it right? (Note that at 80-90% effort, I believe I could sometime continu a tad more if I hadn't lost the balance...so it's not really a total «muscular failure» but more an «overall body exhaustion who affect my ability to maintain a handstand»...lets say
).
Thanks for the helps,
Keep training!