This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scaled WOD's

Started by George Launchbury, February 5, 2008 · 2 Replies · 4,269 Views

George Launchbury

Hi Coach Sommer,

I was wondering if there will also be information about scaling the WODs for those of us who are just starting out - either some information included within the exercise descriptions (as they appear on the site) or the posted WOD?

I remember that within the crossfit community, for example, there is a separate forum where someone (appropriately qualified to do so) posts three different scaled versions of the WOD.

I imagine that you have already thought of this, and have a cunning plan! :)

Thanks for your time,

George.

Coach Sommer

Scaled WODs

Excellent question, George. Proper scaling is essential for consistent progress. Remember that all of my athletes, even the powerful ones who have begun to be posted on the main page dailys, did not start off with that level of physical development; but were carefully and progressively created. As a side note, I do not believe that the importance of seeing athletes created by a program perform and demonstrate the very exercises and workouts that created them can be overstated - it provides credibility and verifies a program's effectiveness. And, of course, hope for your own future development.

The WOD will post the preferred movements that I would like you to either perform that day or aspire to. If you are unable to execute a specific movement as rx'd (prescribed), than Building the Gymnastic Body provides a plethora of progressions, with performance guidelines, within each specific family of movements for basic strength elements. For other components of the Gymnastic Bodies program that are discussed in-depth in forth coming additional books, we will discuss alternative substitutions within the Workout of the Day forum.

I must admit to being rather envious of the opportunity of following the Gymnastic Bodies WODs. I wish that such a resource had been available when I was training or coming up as a young coach.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

George Launchbury

Thanks Coach,

That sounds like a great solution to a tricky task.

It is a very exciting time, and I'm sure I'm not alone in being grateful to be given the opportunity to have access to what is shaping up to be such a great resource, made even better by being tied into the books, WODs and a good forum with informed, helpful and (most of all) friendly people.

If only I was a younger, lighter and (possibly a little) shorter - the world would be my oyster!

Best Regards,

George.