kip to support on rings

Started by Ryan Verma, December 22, 2011 · 7 Replies · 2,763 Views

Ryan Verma

hi all,

i'm just looking for some advice or video tutorials on a proper kip to support or l-sit on rings.

what i've learned so far has been from watching gymnasts on youtube, but i think i'm not generating enough power when im in my inverted pike. when i kip, i end up at the transition phase of a muscle up and have to do a dip to get to a support.

if anyone has any suggestions, advice or videos, i'd appreciate it! i'd post a video of myself, but i don't have a camera at the moment... sorry!

Thanks

David Picó García

Not an expert here but i can recommend to try this and tell us if it is better. Try to do the kick, up , not to front. Not up and front just up and then go up with your arms extended thinking on going to an V rather than a L sit, of course your legs will drop (but think of it for going high enough with your legs and don't bend elbows if you can´t go high enough try to open a bit the arms (like a cross a the start of the descending into it). Ah and kick stronger!!!

Ryan Verma

I'll give that a try tomorrow when I go to the gym and see if it confirms that my power is lacking in the kick. My pike flexibility is pretty bad, but I do a lot of plyometrics for rugby so I should have at least average explosive power, unless my rugby training has not carried over into the required muscle groups for the kick...

Blairbob

As Serotonin noted, you want to float "up" and stop your feet at V. While the rings are weightless, push (push/pull) and arrive in support.

There should be some tips on DrillsandSkills.

David Picó García

And i also recommend you to take a video. I did it and i found that my explosive kick to the moon was in fact really slow and powerless :oops: , although the feeling was my kick was awesome.

Alessandro Mainente

the key is try to arrive in a high cross...and pull with your arms...

Ryan Verma

I tried just kicking and I discovered I don't really go anywhere unless I pull with my arms as well. Clearly, my kick has very little power.

I just bought a new camera, so I'll bring it to the gym with me and get a video. The kip is pretty embarrassing, but pride will be shelved so I can better my technique!

Which would be the best angle? I'm thinking a mix of side and front...

Ryan Verma

Here is the video. The cross at the end was just for me to see where I'm at with it.

dWLBMtJOZVM