My son is a competitive gymnast in the UK and is 9years 5months old and has trained seriously for 3years. He does 13.5h per week training and is one of the best gymnasts in his region in his age group and also competed in national finals in setwork. I won't say more to keep his identity anonymous.
I have a question about elbow hyper-extension /flexibility
First..... the background is I think all his joints are very flexible...some of this is I think naturally and some of this due to training. He is the most flexible of the elite boys at the new gym club he trains at. He can do all splits (left leg, right leg and box) to the floor with arms up fairly easily and can push past 180deg though thats a struggle, pike flat fold to floor, straddle flat fold to floor etc, he can lie on his back and place flat of his hands shoulder width apart and his neck will be only 2inches from the ground so his shoulders are flexible too, his bridge is nice etc and unlike many boys he can bend back into bridge and kickover very easily (I know its more a thing girls practice). His knees also slightly hyperextend (about as much as Roger Federer's) too. His coaches are very pleased with his flexibility, and he certianly was not like this at say 5 before he started gymnastics. So its not as if his elbows flexibility is different to his other joints really.
However, what a coach who was a physio noticed at an old club noticed last year is that his elbows will mildly hyper-extend. You can notice this when he locks out his elbows say on p-bars. I had never noticed this before in him, so i couldn't say whether this is a result of gym training or whether he would have been like this anyway. However, at least the susceptibility to this, I think this may genetic, as his mum's do this too and one of his older sisters (mine can't go past 180 degrees)
His coach at his new club doesn't seem concerned by this elbow hyper-extension and he seems to be an excellent coach (though he is quite young), and does loads of conditioning similar to Coach Sommers
However, two of the older elite boys gymnasts who are teenagers and are both very good (ranked in top 10 nationally in their age group) and they are really helpful and friendly with my son, and they told him that they think his elbows might be a weakness and a problem for him in strength positions later. I don't think its affected my son yet at all in his gymnastics as far as I can tell, but he's only doing more basic moves at his young age. His armspan is longer than his height (like mine) and at 4ft 6and 1/2inches he's on the tall side for a gymmnast of his age..but average height for his age among non gymnasts.
His upper body strength is OK (he can do about 15-20 pullups onbar or rings and loads of dips (40 or so) but he can't do a muscle up yet on rings, his core strength is good (he can pike lift, half lever through straddle to handstand on p-bars, hold a decent Russian lever on floor etc. However I think its fair to say he has to work on his strength more than his flexibility.
As I said, I don't think the elbow hyperextension is any sort of injury and its not bothered him at all yet, but is it something I need to keep an eye on? and are there additonal things like bent arm work improving his bicep strength that he should be doing to avoid problems? Are there things he needs to do to improve his joint strength.
I wonder if he may even be a bit too flexible for male artistic gymnastsics as a sport, though so far it has only helped him?
Any advice very welcome