Wide-Grip muscle up

Started by Jon Douglas, December 20, 2011 · 3 Replies · 3,316 Views

Jon Douglas

Hi all,

I freely admit I could have searched harder for a topic covering this, and am happy to get a reply with just a link if it has already been addressed.

I am finding myself comfortable with a medium-grip muscle up (at least 3x3 from dead hang without failure, no momentum) and am working on minimizing the forward lean in it. I'm getting all sorts of excited about working on this variation, and recognise it's going to be a long road, but want to lay down what groundwork I can at this stage.

I want to know more about the movement by people that are capable of it. How does the grip work, other than pulling up high enough to get your hands in (I imagine)?

How does the muscle activation compare to easier MU variations?

Is it possible to hold a false grip with your hands turned outwards? (I live in Australia so my rings are packed away inside overnight; otherwise the spiders will eat them, so I can't check this just at this moment).

Who is prioritising this FBE in their current str training? What is working for you? More importantly, what mistakes have you made that we/me can learn from?

I am not certain,but I believe i remember a progression described of working narrow, medium and wide grip MU with false grip, then again through with no false grip. This contradicts the book a little (sort of, really it just adds more steps) but have people found that sort of business works?

I have a lot of questions, I am just trying to get my head around the movement and as I say, thinking about how to lay down groundwork for it. I didn't realise it, but I followed very close to Slizzardman's MU approach originally, chipping away at the movement with false grip pullups and extended dips. Will a similar approach be productive here, do you suppose?

Hmmm. Any input gladly welcomed, even if its just to plug away and come back when I've done another year of muscle-ups with false grip.

Jon Douglas

One last unrelated question-- I notice BtGB maxes uniplanar pullups with OAC's. Is there any reason these aren't OAP's?

Blairbob

From what I have read and discussed with those who work them, One arm Pullups pronated tend to be a bit hard on the elbows so doing them supinated kind of protects the elbow besides being easier.

Of course, there are the Cirques on rope if you get strong enough.

Jon Douglas
Blairbob said:
From what I have read and discussed with those who work them, One arm Pullups pronated tend to be a bit hard on the elbows so doing them supinated kind of protects the elbow besides being easier.

Of course, there are the Cirques on rope if you get strong enough.

That makes sense. I'll follow that up more when I'm doing more regular OACs, Have been doing cirques on a vertical pole occasionally; its not ideal. Thanks.